Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danish oil on veneer teak coffee table - little white spots or scrapes are appearing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danish oil on veneer teak coffee table - little white spots or scrapes are appearing.

Hi,
    I am very very new to this. I inherited a teak veneer coffee table from my grandmother. I sanded it with 120 and 220 grit and then applied 3 layers of Watco Danish Oil. All 24 hours apart and for all, I wiped off excess with a paper towel 10 min after applying (I got that from a forum) and have now let it cure for over a week. I hadn't touched it and no one goes near it, but I noticed today that it seemed gritty on top. I sanded it with 600 grit and it is nice and smooth but I noticed the white spots/lines while I was sanding. I don't know if I just did it, or if it was there already. One picture is of the leaf that is affected, and one picture is the unaffected leaf. I don't want to sand this table anymore, I'm scared of particle board closeness. Does anyone know what this is? Should I just leave it? It isn't very noticeable. And I would love some advice on what to put on top of the Danish oil as a finish. This might become a dining room table (the way it opens up allows for that). I don't want to put on anything "slick". I like the look of it right now. Thanks so much for everyone's help!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Danish oil on veneer teak coffee table - little white spots or scrapes are appearing.

Are those little white lines dust from your sanding? how about you try using a vacuum on it with a soft brush on the end it you don't have a soft brush for the vacuum just use a wide soft clean paint brush.
    When I was boat building and used a lot of teak it was common to get calcium in the grain that would show up as white spots.
    The other way to do this is if you have an air compressor you could try blowing the dust out of the grain if it is sanding dust.
    Maybe get a magnifying glass and have a close look.
    Good luck.
    Why put anything else over the top of it?
    Last edited by bkrits; 04-23-2021, 09:31 PM. Reason: Added the last line

Comment

Re: Danish oil on veneer teak coffee table - little white spots or scrapes are appearing.

I think Bob is on the right track. But I also wonder if you having gone from 120 grit paper right to 220 might be part of why the dust is there in the first place. Normal progression with sand paper would be 120, 150, 180, 220. Bob, I'm sure, knows more about how critical this may be than I do so maybe he can weigh in on this.
      As he mentioned, you will still have to do a good job of cleaning any dust away, but I think following this progression would leave less chance of dust staying behind.
      Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Teresa, nice looking table! I am definitely biased towards teak as we collected a lot of teak veneer furniture when the "Scandinavian" trend was popular back in the 80's. It still looks great today as it gets re-oiled every couple years.

Like Bob and Stuart, I think those spots are most likely dust. Did you vacuum off the surface or wipe it down after sanding?
        Best suggestion I have is to soak a clean rag in mineral spirits and wipe the top until you get all the oil and offending material off. Then when dry, lightly re-sand by hand (a light pass with sandpaper wrapped around a sanding block is all that's needed), but this time, as Stuart suggested, start at 150, then go to 180 then 220 (if you really feel you need to). I usually stop at 180 when I have to refresh some surfaces. Vacuum up the dust and then wipe off again with mineral spirits. When dry, apply first coat of oil and go from there.

It's a bit more work to do it this way, but I have found the results are well worth it.

Hope that helps
        Paul
        Last edited by Paul O in Paris; 04-24-2021, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Any chance it’s remnants of the paper towel?

Perhaps put some chamy cloth on a ROB plate sander and polish with a dilute mixture of tung oil and solvent. ?? Or use a buffing pad and the diluted tung oil.
          Don’t sand.
          Last edited by Egon; 04-24-2021, 07:52 AM.
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

I agree with the others and looks like dust caught on the surface. A vacuum or blower would be my first plan of attack to clean it. Next might be to get a few 'Tack cloths' (C Tire sells them as well as any good paint store) and wipe it down.

As for a top coat finish, I'm a big fan of Wipe on Poly for many projects and this might be one of them. Inexpensive and almost anyone can get very good results with little experience. Just buy some "lint free" rags when you get the Tack cloth and rub it on the well cleaned surface.

Buy the smallest jug of Wipe on Poly you can, usually a quart. A little goes a long way. I will put on 4 to 6 coats on a higher use surface, 24 hours apart per application. I just get a zip lock bag and put the wiping rag in it after each coat. Then use it again for the next coat. Wear rubber type gloves!

To test if you like it, then if there's a similar surface on the underside, then sand a patch the same way, stain it the same and then apply 2-4 coats of Wipe on Poly to that area. See what you think of the result. I've done quite a few table tops with it and the results have been good.
            Last edited by PeterTZ; 04-24-2021, 09:19 AM.
            ThePracticalPeasant likes this.
            Learning something new every day.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Hi everyone,
              I really appreciate your time and thoughts. I was vacuuming with a soft brush during sanding - each "part" not just after I'd done the whole table. I did re-vacuum, after these comments but nothing changed. Honestly, although it bugs me a little, I don't think I'll touch this table anymore. It is about 95% right, and I can sometimes get carried away and ruin everything! So, I'm going to put it out of my mind. And I'm just going to try and be careful with the table - tablecloth when using it.....
              Thanks for your help, and I learned something about the next one. :-)

Comment

if you are using danish oil I'd also add some turpentine. for the sanding use wet or dry paper and you wont have any dust. keep the paper wet with the oil. dont use paper towels, use a piece of linen or an old tee shirt. I think it's just lint caught in there. if it's particleboard with veneer , probably not worth fussing too much over. yea you might sand through if it's just thin veneer.

Comment

Working...
                X