Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For which of these reasons, is my router bit slipping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: For which of these reasons, is my router bit slipping?

Jeremy, mineral spirits would be okay, but be sure it is dry before you proceed to re-assembly and use. Following the cleaning using a fine sandpaper as Egon suggests may be helpful, but only do a swipe or two with the sandpaper. I agree with the other comments about avoiding having the bit "bottom out" in the collet. With a clean collet and bit shaft, I agree with Dara that the bit should not move with a 1/8 inch cut using a straight cutter. (I have had spiral bits move under load)

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Dara View Post
      There is no way a properly installed bit would slip, old, hot, dull, too deep a cut doesn't matter
      Wrong.

Anyone who doesn’t think money grows on trees hasn’t bought any lumber lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Dara View Post
        The way a collet works is with a taper. It initially grips the bit and then pulls it down and the taper tightens with the grooves. If the shank is already in the bottom it can't be pulled down into the taper. Make sure also to clean sawdust out of the hole.
        Yes, this (above) is correct. I always drop my router bit in to the bottom, then lift it as required to clear the bottom of the rotor by a fraction of an inch (or more as cutting height requires).
        And tighten it real good.
        Tight, yes, but don't overdo it. A properly sharp bit in a clean collet, and tightened without bottoming out only requires that it be tightened by hand with the normal tools that came with the router.
        There is no way a properly installed bit would slip, old, hot, dull, too deep a cut doesn't matter
        Yes, it does matter. In fact it matters a lot. Router work is NOT for hogging off great quantities of material unless you have a big router with lots of HP to keep the rotation speed up, running 1/2" bits and sharp bits at that. You are using a 1/4" router, so we know it's not big and it's going to take light passes to do it's best work. Regardless of the HP you have, SHARP is a must, as is taking the correct depth of cut for the power and the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kunzwerks View Post

Wrong.
          Agreed, there is no way to guarantee that the collet is tight enough to withstand the stresses if the bit is big, dull, dirty and the cut is too aggressive, even if the collet holds, the quality of cut will suffer. So don't put a six foot pipe on your collet wrench and torque it and expect you can ignore good practice with your router. Always safer to take multiple lighter cuts and the quality of the finish will be better.

Comment

Ive worked with Collets all my life in the metalworking industry, Collets aren't foolproof.
            They can only hold so much then they can slip. Thats why there are better work holding devices in the industry, look at the size of the collet and there isnt really that much holding area. I agree with what others have said, clean, dont bottom out, replace worn parts, dont expect a router collet to hold if your pushing too hard or taking huge cuts.

I always make sure the nut is clean and tight, take multiple passes and keep your tools sharp and if its not holding then somethings wrong. Measure your bit shank make sure its on size and round cheap bits are just that and can be iffy.

Cheap routers are made as such and dont expect too much from them.
            I have a Makita 1/2" and its holds well.
            • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Jfd986 View Post
              I poured what I could into empty tennis ball containers, the rest is still in the jug sitting upside down.
              - please dont let this become a fire.
              Jfd986 likes this.

Comment

I like the explanation of "fake tight" and "real tight" ;-) why do the collets tighten and loosen twice? I know what you mean by the description, I've just never really figured out why this happens from a mechanical perspective.

if thing are changing color, that may be a sign you are reaching temps that may change the metallurgy. That inner part of a collet is hard steel but if the router bit starts slipping it may generate enough heat to affect the temper, or remove material from the collet or shank causing it to not clamp so well.

an extra router is handy, I like to keep one with just a roundover bit and that avoids changing them as often. I have a laminate trimmer and I prefer that sometimes when I want to rout up near to something , the larger the base the more restriction you have on how close you can come to stuff when running it freehand. although a great big plunger router might work for things like using a dovetail jig , one that is smaller with two handles is nicer to handle and you dont need the plunge feature there.

I have a couple really old aluminum ones that resemble R2D2. one has an aluminum attachment that resembles a hand plane. I guess it can sort of work like a hand plane. I've never actually tried using it but it looks fun. maybe it's the predecessor to those electric had planes .. these aren't powerful but I stuck new bearings in and they are ok for light stuff and I like that they are nice to handle.

I can't quite relate to "selling my router because I have two" ;-)
                Last edited by stickman; 09-16-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                  I like the explanation of "fake tight" and "real tight" ;-) why do the collets tighten and loosen twice? I know what you mean by the description, I've just never really figured out why this happens from a mechanical perspective.

if thing are changing color, that may be a sign you are reaching temps that may change the metallurgy. That inner part of a collet is hard steel but if the router bit starts slipping it may generate enough heat to affect the temper, or remove material from the collet or shank causing it to not clamp so well.
                  I think some collets are designed so you can hand tighten them enough to hold the bit in place while you reach for your wrench "fake tight" but require further tightening with the wrench "real tight" before you cut with them. I know my Bosch is like that. Not sure those are the correct terms(fake and real) but also not sure what the correct terms are.

Yes if you start seeing colour change in the bit or collet you may have damaged them and should consider replacing them.

Comment

I still believe
                    A 1/2" straight bit with a quarter inch shank. If it's slipping in the collet instead of breaking the shank, It isn't installed properly. Check the collet ( I actually have 1/2" one with a wing broke and I slip the broke piece in and tighten it. Never had a bit slip. Don't bottom it out and use a pipe to tighten it. PS I really should get a new 1/2" collet cause it's a pain
                    Dara
                    SPCHT

Comment

Get your self a new bit. Mastercraft are not as good of quality and you bought used. That might not be the problem with it loosening but it will make your life so much easier. Something else that I don't think was mentioned is that there is a radius where the cutter head meets the shaft and you do not want to tighten on the radius. This goes along with the bottoming out comments but make sure no matter how high you lift it after dropping it in that the radius is clear of the collet.
                      Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Rethink again. I guess it could slip, but really shouldn't
                        Dara
                        SPCHT

Comment

Two dozen helpful replies seem to flog the basic issue which you answered by your own second question - toss the used Mastercraft ¼" router and stay with your half inch router.
                          Start slow and wind down gracefully

Comment

Originally posted by Woodwreck View Post
                            Two dozen helpful replies seem to flog the basic issue which you answered by your own second question - toss the used Mastercraft ¼" router and stay with your half inch router.
                            I think I'd have to disagree just a bit .... my advice would be to keep both, use them with sharp bits, properly installed and then take appropriate cuts. I have two 1/4" routers and one 1/2". I use all three.

cheers
                            Jfd986 likes this.

Comment

I've bought incredibly cheap sets of assorted carbide cutters and they suffice. if I want to do a lot with one I'd invest in a name brand when it's on sale, but it's nice to have a number of profiles to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post

- please dont let this become a fire.
                                I have since poured the upside down container and tennis ball container contents into a secured empty protein powder container that was adequately cleaned and dried prior to using it for storing the mineral spirits. The garage kinda still smells of mineral spirits and I have a bad feeling I'll need to deep-clean the space in order to get rid of it because it's probably "in the dirt" or something, but now the risk of fire is basically low or zero

Comment

Working...
                                X