Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bookcase from herringbone flooring... No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bookcase from herringbone flooring... No?

Would it be practical, possibly more economical and possibly less work, or possible at all .. to make a bookshelf entirely out of home depot-purchased herringbone walnut flooring snapped together and laid out on top of whatever base needs to be acquired (I'm guessing plywood) , and then joined on whatever way that's required to allow for wood movement? (I have no insight there)

I have walnut boards, but recently my gf was thinking about herringbone walnut flooring and dreamt of a bookshelf made with that design. We were considering this as an alternative to making all of the cuts into the boards I have and joining them all myself, again in some way that I'm not entirely sure of but would allow for wood movement.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Bookcase from herringbone flooring... No?

I think it'd be a PITA to finish the edges of the laminate flooring... but the snap lock flooring should be dimensionally stable, reducing the need to allow for movement...
    What about shelves from plywood, walnut veneer cut into rectangles and glued onto the plywood in the correct pattern, edge the plywood with solid walnut...

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post
      I think it'd be a PITA to finish the edges of the laminate flooring... but the snap lock flooring should be dimensionally stable, reducing the need to allow for movement...
      What about shelves from plywood, walnut veneer cut into rectangles and glued onto the plywood in the correct pattern, edge the plywood with solid walnut...
      Can you buy "nice" walnut veneer from the Home Depot? My gf is concerned it will "look cheap" , I think we're used to "veneer" being some sort of pattern printed onto plastic. I've only recently started to explain to people that it can be actual wood, at least that's my understanding of what we're talking about when we say "veneer".

I can search for veneer, is there a certain keyword or subtype I should seek out? Ideally I'd like to find it somewhere where she can put her hands on it be see how it feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Jfd986 View Post

Can you buy "nice" walnut veneer from the Home Depot? My gf is concerned it will "look cheap" , I think we're used to "veneer" being some sort of pattern printed onto plastic. I've only recently started to explain to people that it can be actual wood, at least that's my understanding of what we're talking about when we say "veneer".

I can search for veneer, is there a certain keyword or subtype I should seek out? Ideally I'd like to find it somewhere where she can put her hands on it be see how it feels.
        https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ing?item=41A06

Edit: Not sure you can buy "nice" anything from Depot...
        Last edited by ThePracticalPeasant; 09-18-2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePracticalPeasant View Post

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...ing?item=41A06

Edit: Not sure you can buy "nice" anything from Depot...
          My gf wants a bookcase that's approx 5 ft x 1 ft x 2 ft
          She wants one shelf in between the top and bottom.

Assuming we're "supposed to" cover the top and bottom of each plywood thingo with veneer, I estimated a total surface area of about 38 sq ft, assuming 5x1 ft top middle bottom, and 2x1 ft sides. Do I have that right?

That would be about, 165+tax for the adequate amount of walnut sheet veneer or something like that?

​​​​​

Comment

At 38 sq. ft., going the flooring route would have required two boxes of flooring at $160/ 32 sq ft. each.

The veneer route gives you so much more flexibility in design, skill development for further projects, and edge treatment options.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

You can buy walnut plywood, which is plywood with an outer veneer of walnut already attached. However, you would still have to cut the plywood to the proper dimensions that you want. Then you would have to cover the exposed edges of that plywood. I usually do that with 1/8” strips of real walnut glued to the edges and planed or sanded to the desired dimensions.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Exotic Woods in Burlington, would probably have walnut veneer. The girlfriend would be able to see and touch.
                John
                If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

modern veneers are usually thin. The stuff on plywood is very thin. if you look at older furniture it was usually thicker. modern machinery made stretching the material out by making it thinner more possible.

if you laminate it you might need to make a little press out of some clamps and things. commercially they use a hydraulic press with a flat bed that clamps it under hydraulic pressure. you may need to do smaller glue ups to maintain the clamping force over the area to prevent any bubbling. Use some cauls.
                  I dont buy a lot of veneer so I cant really comment on the pricing but I didn't think you'd need to spend so much, I'd shop around.

Comment

Working...
                  X