No announcement yet.

Good, cheap bench building material.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good, cheap bench building material.

Check your local bowling alley!!

I had a line on some old lane (i guess they have to replace them due to wear) but it was all gone when i went to check.

I understand you have to watch for nails though as there are a ton of them in it.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

You're welcome to look around for the best salvaged material, but sometimes that is more work than it's worth. You could always use a MDF or ply top and surround it will solid edges. Build a basic (but solid and stable) hardwood base for it out of ash and you would be good to go. When designing the base do so so you can add on a storage cabinet down the road. Maybe plan the entire thing now, but only build the top and structural part of the base.

Comment

A few years ago I built a bench for the shop using laminated and finger jointed Douglas fir 4 x 4 10 foot long posts from the local lumber yard. These are solid, full dimension post made from kiln dried stock so they are stable. I lined each piece up using biscuits and glued them up with white glue , then cross drilled them and secured them with 1/2 inch redi-rod. Total cost for the top was less than $100.00. The bench is 9 foot long, 24 inches wide and weighs close to 300 pounds. It's been stable since the day it was built.

Comment

I think Rob gives good advice on this.
          Enjoy the process.
          Robert.
          If you can't grow it, catch it, or build it, what makes you think you need it?

Comment

Torsion box made with MDF? super strong, light and flat.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-...e-torsion-box/

Comment

Working...
            X