Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a router table and roundover bit - some basic questions

Hi all,
    I'm wanting to put a 1/2" radius all along the edges of some fairly small boards (2.5 x 4").

I set up my router table with a 1/2" radius roundover bit, but set the depth initially to be very shallow so I could round it off in two passes. I set the speed to the slowest setting (sorry I can't give you an actual RPM) according to the speed settings table on the router.

My problem is that I don't feel safe doing this. Maybe it's because the piece is relatively small, and I don't feel quite comfortable handling the piece so close. The other problem I'm getting is that the piece wants to catch and kick back, which definitely isn't helping my confidence.

Here's some info that might help:

The router table I'm using is a cheapy craftsman, and the surface isn't actually level - it seems to raise slightly at the top. I'm also using a really cheap crafstman 1/2" roundover bit that doesn't have a bearing (just a smooth guide).

I'm sure some better equipment would help, and I do plan to get a better router bit. I can't afford a new router table though.

I'm also wondering if I can get some tips/tricks on how I should be doing this?

Mike
    Mike
    Windsor ON

Re: Using a router table and roundover bit - some basic questions

Are you trying to do this free hand without a starting pin?
    Do you have a starting pin? If not, can you make and install one? Not much to it.
    How about the fence? If you have a fence you could use it as a guide and it would also allow you to use a push block.

For 1/2" roundover I wouldn't go slowest speed. You can easily go to 20,000 rpm.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Also, too slow can be worse than too fast. It's more likely to 'catch', they're are charts out there to help with this, router speed based on number of flutes and diameter. if the router bit is under 2" diameter, then you can probably crank the speed to the max, and risk only burning the work piece.

As Darius said, and starting pin or fence is a must have for safety reasons. Easy enough to make either.
      The more I learn, the better I understand how little I know.

Comment

You should not be hand holding pieces that small; how many digits do you have remaining? You should be using a holding device like this. Same thing available at LV and other fine woodworking emporiums.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Woodwreck; 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Are you feeding the piece the right way? If you look at Woodwreck's picture you should be feeding towards the top. If you go the other way it will try to rip it out of your hands and that's when bad things happen.
          Jamie www.turneddesignsybyjamie.etsy.com www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

all of the above!!

max speed, feed direction AGAINST the cutter rotation, a holder for the workpiece, starting pin

dont start right at the corner, start in the middle of an edge, finish the cut on a long grain edge not end grain
            my shop is a beaver lodge
            steve, sarnia, ont

sigpic

1940's Beaver Jointer

Comment

Thanks guys, I've never even heard of a starter pin on a router table before.. but it definitely makes sense. That small piece holder also looks worth trying.

Mike
              Mike
              Windsor ON

Comment

Consider buying an 'encyclopedic' book on router use that covers safety, jigs & shopmade tables, bits, and the multitude of applications routers can be put to.... this has been a standard

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...096,46119&ap=1

good luck

michael

Comment

Do you have a fence?
                  In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity. - Thomas Sowell

Comment

I'd cut my stock into a length twice as wide as you need it and several times longer. Make your roundover on all 4 sides and then rip it in half. Round over the 2 new edges. Use chop saw to cut your 4 inch lengths from each end. That way, you'll have 2 pieces with 3 sides done, and 2 longer pieces with 2 sides done. Cut them to the 4 inch lengths. Using a push block, you can do the end grain roundovers safely.
                    Discussion is the mother or father of ideas.
                    Discord is the bastard son of discussion.

Comment

I just wanted to thank everyone for all the help in this thread. I ended up getting a small parts holder from LV and one of their 1/2" roundover bits. I couldn't find an easy way to mount a starter post on the router table (I might drill a separate hole for it at another date), but ended up positioning the fence in a way that I could use it for the same purpose. Needless to say everything went smoothly and safely, so I now have some nice walnut guitar holders instead of some wood scraps

7151000977_a0a2bb53ea.jpg

Mike
                      Windsor, ON
                      Mike
                      Windsor ON

Comment

Nice! So this is totally anal, but how about a plug cover for the screw? Or at the very least a daub of similar toned paint on the screw? Glad everything worked out for you.
                        Last edited by Donna H; 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM. Reason: One too many question marks
                        Donna,
                        Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Originally posted by Donna H View Post
                          Nice! So this is totally anal, but how about a plug cover for the screw? Or at the very least a daub of similar toned paint on the screw? Glad everything worked out for you.
                          You're totally right Donna, the next ones I'm making for a few friends will be using black oxide screws. A plug is a nice idea too, but I don't know how I'd make one.
                          Mike
                          Windsor ON

Comment

Here you go.
                            http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41306,41332
                            Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Or you could make your own.
                              http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...180,42288&ap=1
                              Donna,
                              Self Imposed Queen of Design Opportunities

Comment

Working...
                              X