My First Post....Enlarging Dogholes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Post....Enlarging Dogholes

Hi all. First post here, great site have been reading for a bit and fairly new to WW, or at least decent WW.....lol
    I have a folding scaffold type table that I purchased from another WW that had the table made for him. He installed a marine type plywood top on it and drilled (very accurately) 3/4 inch dogholes. I am a Festool guy, and would like to enlarge these holes to 20mm to match my MFT/3 so I may use my Festool accessories such as Qwas dogs and clamps ect. I have been pondering for a while how to do this with the same accuracy the 3/4 hose were drilled, and am hoping for some suggestions from the community. I was talking with my "tool guy" at my local store and the only idea we could come up with was to build a jig with say 3 3/4 dowels that fit perfectly in the existing dogholes and mount my plunge router on the deck of the jig with a 20mm bit and plunge thru the 3/4 inch dogholes.....We also tossed around a "reamer", but my tool guy said that would be a difficult and expensive option....I decided to look at "reamers" online and discovered they are not that expensive on their own, but would need to come up with a method/jig to allow them to "float" and enlarge the holes accurately....then again I thought about starting over and installing a new top with a 20mm plunge bit and being done with it.......any suggestions?????
    Thanks in advance for any help suggestions you may have!!
    Greg
    Attached Files

Re: My First Post....Enlarging Dogholes

Greg,
    I did something similar years ago with a plunge router. If you have a 20mm flush cut bearing bit (bottom bearing...mine are freud) and a 3/4", you can swap out the 20mm bearing with the 3/4" (My set had the same inside diameter bearings). This will enable you to center the machine on the 3/4 hole while you clamp your router and plunge out the 20mm. This worked for me very quickly, but I had to quickly clamp down the router each time for accuracy or there was slight wander..Hope this option helps..I'm sure it's only one of many to come, as there are a great bunch here.
    Al
    Last edited by finishone; 06-05-2012, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Hi. Thank you Al. So once you plunge did you roll the bit around the doghole to enlarge it?
      Thanks again for the help I need it....lol
      Greg

Comment

If you use a 20mm flush cut bit with a 3/4" bearing as finishone suggests the hole will be the right size after the plunge cut. You will have to secure the router though as it my move once the bearing clears the bottom of the existing hole.

T J

Comment

Thanks. I understand now, the bearing will keep the 20mm bit centered until it clears the bottom like you said. I'll go see my "guy" and get him to fix me up.
          Thanks again everyone for the help, much appreciated.
          Greg

Comment

Drill a 20MM hole in a piece of 3/4 ply. Position it perfectly centered over the old hole and away you go. There are tons of ways to perfectly position the ply over the hole. 3/4 cutter with a 20mm bearing or 20 mm cutter with a 3/4 bushing will work. Once the ply is clamped in place you could use a forstner bit or a router. If you have a lathe you could make your own 3/4, 20mm peg.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Finally got around to getting this done. I had zero luck finding a 20 mm router bit with a bottom bearing I could change out for a 3/4 inch bearing ect.
              I ended up having a 3/4 to 20mm "peg" made and building a little jig for my router and plunged with a standard (no bearing) 20mm bit. I used 2 clamps on the jig to hold it steady and after 135 plunges I was done....lol
              Now my clamps, dogs , and elements work!!
              Thanks for the help and ideas

Comment

Working...
              X