• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocking Horses
    replied
    Re: Where to Buy Plywood in Toronto?

Originally posted by Bowtie66 View Post
    New Canadians Lumber 804 Dupont Street, Dupont and Shaw, Have got some there a while back, they also have a good selection of dressed soft and hardwood lumber although not advertised, also rough cut pine
    Thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• Bowtie66
    replied

New Canadians Lumber 804 Dupont Street, Dupont and Shaw, Have got some there a while back, they also have a good selection of dressed soft and hardwood lumber although not advertised, also rough cut pine

Leave a comment:

• Rocking Horses
    replied

Thank you Steve

Leave a comment:

• schor
    replied

You can buy baltic birch ply at mopst home depot shops in 2x4 panels. Probably lowes and rona too.

Leave a comment:

• Rocking Horses
    started a topic Where to Buy Plywood in Toronto?

Where to Buy Plywood in Toronto?

I do not have much off-line sources and couldn't find much on-line to answer my woodworking-related questions so I will have to ask this question on the Forum: where one can buy plywood (by sheet or two only, very small quantity), preferably Baltic birch? I will need it for making rocking horses and other rocking toys for small children - those will be pieces measuring about 2' x 2 1/2', fairly light weight, for light-weight users.

Someone who used to build furniture prior to coming to Canada and still does it as a hobby, suggested that I try Home Depot - he found there some hardwood 3/4" maple and birch plywood (4' x 8') which was recommended by him and a man who is overseeing plywood section at Home Depot. The man at Home Depot couldn't tell me exact price for maple plywood 4' x 8' piece, but said it was about $30, however another furniture-maker said that this sounds too cheap, and because I am now only learning all about these details - to me the maple plywood sheets from Home Depot looked fine and even beautiful, actually the Home Depot Plywood section man showed me the lower quality sheets on the other shelves and made sure that I do not buy them.

There was also birch plywood in Home Depot, at a price around $50 per 4' x 8' sheet, it also looked fine to me (and was also suggested by a man from Home Depot).

The professional woodworker (who is neither of the men above) who has been teaching me to make my very first rocking horse at his workshop said that Home Depot usually offers not a very good quality plywood and was kind enough to drive me a couple of times to Century Mill near Stouffville to get my first batch of maple and then Baltic plywood - but he is very busy and cannot do that again, so I am looking for advice on where else plywood is available for small buyers and what is your experience with plywood from Home Depot (which, again, has been reviewed for me by a man who is overseeing that section, knows about plywood and made sure to show me the good quality and not so good quality plywood - so I could see the difference for myself).

I do not have a car, so I need to find a place that would deliver that plywood to Toronto at a reasonable cost.

Thank you very much for all the information you can share.

Marianna ~
Working...
X