Where to get glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get glass?

I'm wondering if anyone has tips on where to find glass to use as a base for sharpening chisels and plane blades? I've read that this is a good flat material to use but everything says "get a piece of thick glass" but no reference as to where one might find such a thing.

Any tips would be appreciated, on where to find glass or other suitable materials that could be used.

Thanks,
    Jesse
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Where to get glass?

Check local listings such as yellowpages for a glass supplier, Not sure of anyone in pickering but i'm sure there is one although there seem to be less than years ago, I picked up a couple of pieces from an old glass shop in the city for pennies, I use one with magnets to help set jointer knives and I do have another one that I use for sharpening

Comment

Hi, go to your local glass supplier and get a scrap from them 8 to 12mm should be plenty thick.Rod
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Granite counter is an option and easy to find. Less breakable too.
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I use a piece of granite from LV.
          http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43513,51657

Comment

Other materials to use, if you have a big box store nearby, the 12" square real marble tiles are ground flat enough to use for sharpening. Polished granite also available. Less costly route. Glass, as mentioned, is readily available at most glass shops. You don't need a real big piece, mine are 12"x14"

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-i...-marble/912850

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/12-i...granite/906368

Comment

I get all my glass cut at ICG in Whitby. They seem to be pretty good guys and you might be able to get a small piece of scrap glass from them that has a scratch in one side for cheep or free.
              Last edited by Matt Matt; 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM.
              For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
              Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

http://www.amazon.ca/Grizzly-G9648-G...=surface+plate

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,43513,51657

You will find a lot of uses for these, and reasonably priced- cheap, free shipping.
                Layout, measurements and yes great for sharpening!!
                Last edited by redlee; 12-14-2014, 08:52 PM.
                • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

I've picked up several pieces of thick plate glass it the Habitat ReStore for a few bucks each.

Comment

See if you can find a granite store - countertop company - they usually have an offcut bin that will contain polished slabs of various small sizes - foot or more that might be suitable.

There is one near where I work and the offcut bin is near the property edge with "help yourself" on the bin. Sizes will be irregular - but free
                    Nothing is ever as straightforward as it seems.

Glenn from Winnipeg

Comment

If you happen up this way, stop by...I have a ton of 3/8" thick polished black granite. I'll give you a piece.
                      I dream of a better world, one where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

As some others have said, don't use glass, use granite or marble. Glass can break easily and the tolerance for nominal thickness is probably worse than granite. For 12mm glass it's usually +-0.3mm tolerance and the thicker you go the worse it gets, 19mm glass can be out by as mich as +-1.0mm.

For what your doing the idea of the granite tile is a good idea and you can get one for $7 at the big box stores. Goto a granite countertop place and see what they have for 3/4" offcuts, you might get one for free or hand the guy $5.

For a bit more money you can get one of the surface plates as mentioned.
                        Steve The Drill Sergeant
                        Check out MyShopNotes on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtie66 View Post
                          Check local listings such as yellowpages for a glass supplier, Not sure of anyone in pickering but i'm sure there is one although there seem to be less than years ago, I picked up a couple of pieces from an old glass shop in the city for pennies, I use one with magnets to help set jointer knives and I do have another one that I use for sharpening
                          I'm new here; just want ti say"Hi" and thanks for the tip on setting jointer knives. Your timing with that couldn't be better!
                          The difference between a master and a beginner: The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Picked up a granite tile at the orange store and it seems like it will be up to the task.

Comment

Working...
                            X