Weekly progress reports on 'Kittens and Tiger' scroll saw art project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weekly progress reports on 'Kittens and Tiger' scroll saw art project

I was following along with your progress admiring your patients in creating this picture.Did you ever finish it? I would love to see the final piece.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Rob, due to unforeseen reasons that I'm not going to talk about, I stopped work on this right after week 5.

I'm likely to pick up work on it in about a month.

Thanks for asking.
      woodguy7 likes this.
      Cheers,
      Frank

Comment

Week 6:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kittens and Tiger -Week 06 -small.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	365.1 KB
ID:	1112526

After a delay of several months, I got back to this project this week. I spent 5 hours working on it and that puts the total time at 29.5 hours.

The hole count is up to 810.

I'm probably going to build a frame for the work next week. It will be made out of 1/4 sawn white oak. Right now I am trying to choose whether to stain the frame black (as shown to the left in the photo) or to simply highlight the grain with dark stain (as shown to the bottom in the photo). I'm also try to decide how wide to make the frame. I solicit your opinions on the frame.
        woodguy7 likes this.
        Cheers,
        Frank

Comment

I admire your patience. love it. Go bold, go black...
          Chris
          I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

It's coming along nicely .My opinion for your frame would be since the background in the picture is darker and looks to be black in the picture,I like the colour shown on the oak at the bottom of your picture.

Comment

Attached is a photo of the completed and framed work:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kittens and Tiger -Completed and framed -small.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	1113769

The final hole count is 909.

It took me 34 1/4 hours to cut the pattern.

The frame is stained white oak and is of the Rossiter-Pellow design that I used most of my projects.
              woodguy7 and stevem like this.
              Cheers,
              Frank

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

That turned out beautiful Frank.It was a treat to follow along with your progress.Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very nice Frank! You are obviously a very patient scroll saw guy. 909 holes is a lot of blade threading but I think the result is spectacular! Your colour choices work well with the pattern.

I looked at the other patterns on the web site you referenced and there are some really nice ones on offer in addition to the one you worked. (truthfully, I really anticipated a species fusion, similar to other patterns of his, based on the title. I wonder why he called them kittens when they are so obviously tiger cubs?) Are you thinking of doing any more?

Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                  X