Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

    Last week I completed work on Kris Mortinson’s ‘Train on Trestle’ pattern this week. I’m entitling mine ‘From Tunnel to Trestle (on the White Pass and Yukon Railway)’.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	From Tunnel to Trestle (on the White Pass and Yukon Railway) -small.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	387.9 KB
ID:	1106254

    I’m certain that this is the site even though Kris did not respond to my question when I asked him about it. Margaret and I were at that site in 2002 and here is a photo that I took at that time:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	White Pass and Yukon Railway Photo #2  of the spot used in Train on a Trestle scroll saw work.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	1106256


    It’s not nearly as nice a train that we were on but I know that it is the same place.

    The work was cut from 5mm thick white oak veneer then mounted on the same material stained black. After mounting and cleanup, two coats of clear satin polyurethane were applied.

    The size of the foreground panel is 26cm by 20cm.

    The frame is of the Rosseter-Pellow design and was cut from one quarter-sawn oak board. Many coats of polymerized Tung oil were applied to the frame.

    The piece is now hanging just about another one designed by Kris is my office:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Structures in art by Frank and Bruce Pellow -small.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	1106255

    I call that part of the wall `Structures in Art by Frank and Bruce Pellow`. My brother Bruce (now deceased) drew the barn to the right in ink about 40 years ago. I`m attempting to obtain some
    nwoscroller220, Rod Sheridan and 6 others like this.
    Cheers,
    Frank
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

    Now that I am gluing my patterns on top of masking tape, it makes the pattern more difficult to remove. The end result is worth it but the process is tedious. It took me about an hour to remove the pattern from this piece. The little Scrigit™ Scraper that I purchased from Lee Valley (ctlg number 09A05.52), and which appears near the bottom right of the photo below, made the job do-able. I don`t know what I would have done without it.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Train on Trestle -removing the tape and the pattern took close to an hour -small.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	1106258
    beachburl, Chimera and Matt Matt like this.
    Cheers,
    Frank

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

      Frank, I am very impressed with your work. I particularly like the "Wall of History" as I would call it. Beautiful work

      Murray
      This wood is all clear between the knots.

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

        Very very impressed by your work A lot of PATIENT . wow so much of very small cut and details.
        Must be fragile after and during the cuts.
        I will try something like that once.
        Expert job!

        planeur

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

          Those art works surely demand patience and more patience to acheive.
          Is that photo on the Whitepass & Yukon?
          Egon
          from
          The South Shore, Nova Scotia

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

            Wow, you do some pretty impressive pieces.That's neat to have the original photograph of the tunnel and trestle, to go along with it.

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

              Hey Frank, that turned out beautiful, how do you create the patterns? Could you take any photo and run it through a photoshop process to convert to black and white? ?

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                Originally posted by Frank Pellow View Post
                Now that I am gluing my patterns on top of masking tape, it makes the pattern more difficult to remove. The end result is worth it but the process is tedious. It took me about an hour to remove the pattern from this piece. The little Scrigit™ Scraper that I purchased from Lee Valley (ctlg number 09A05.52), and which appears near the bottom right of the photo below, made the job do-able. I don`t know what I would have done without it.
                Nicely done Frank -- Have you tried a heat gun for the tape ?? It works for me for all sticky labels and so forth.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                  There's another thing I would never try.
                  What an expert.

                  Noel
                  Noel

                  "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                  'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                  "

                  John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                    WOW Frank. This is fantastic, You really have patience.

                    I use a lot of blue painters tape on bigger items but I think that I would go direct to the wood with this type of cutting and then remove with mineral spirits.

                    Don
                    Don McFarland
                    ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club
                    http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                      Originally posted by planeur View Post
                      Very very impressed by your work A lot of PATIENT . wow so much of very small cut and details.
                      Must be fragile after and during the cuts.
                      I will try something like that once.
                      Expert job!

                      planeur
                      Thanks. Yes, the resulting panel after all the cuts is very very fragile.
                      Cheers,
                      Frank

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                        Originally posted by Don in Brooklin On View Post
                        WOW Frank. This is fantastic, You really have patience.

                        I use a lot of blue painters tape on bigger items but I think that I would go direct to the wood with this type of cutting and then remove with mineral spirits.

                        Don
                        Thanks Don.

                        Don, I have done it both ways and each has advantages/disadvantages. Right now I'm working on an even bigger work entitled 'Glade Creek Mill' from a pattern my Mike Williams and I did apply that pattern directly to the wood.
                        Cheers,
                        Frank

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                          Originally posted by Egon View Post
                          Those art works surely demand patience and more patience to acheive.
                          Is that photo on the Whitepass & Yukon?
                          Yes it is the Whitepass and Yukon. See the photo f the site that I posted earlier in this thread.
                          Cheers,
                          Frank

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                            Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

                            Nicely done Frank -- Have you tried a heat gun for the tape ?? It works for me for all sticky labels and so forth.
                            Thanks for the tip about the heat gun. I will try it.
                            Cheers,
                            Frank

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: From Tunnel to Trestle scroll saw work

                              Originally posted by ethanslocan View Post
                              Hey Frank, that turned out beautiful, how do you create the patterns? Could you take any photo and run it through a photoshop process to convert to black and white? ?
                              There is special (free) software that can be used to convert a photo to a pattern. I dabbled at it with limited success but have seem work that others have done that is Outstanding.

                              Mostly, I purchase patterns designed by others for this type of scene. Often, as in this case, the pattern designer provides it for free.
                              Cheers,
                              Frank

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X