Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morakniv Wood Carving 120 Knife

Hi there,
    Just received my first new Morakniv Wood Carving 120 Knife from Amazon. The blade seem to have a couple of rust spots and handle is not very smooth. I’ll sand it a bit to make it smooth. The blade seems to have some oil or something on it. I tried to test it on a branch and it doesn’t look razor sharp as I expected for a brand new knife. Is this normal? There are no instructions with it. Do I need to remove oily stuff and sharepen it myself? My Stanly utility knife blade is more shaper than this knife. I bought this knife after reading many good things about it. Am I missing something here?
    joe
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Morakniv Wood Carving 120 Knife

They are good knives, but they are not stainless steel. Which in my opinion is a good thing. Unless you buy a custom made knife, they rarely come sharpened.
    John
    Last edited by John@Hamilton; 01-09-2018, 03:47 PM. Reason: darn auto correct.
    If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

I purchased the Morakniv 106 from Amazon last spring. It came extremely sharp with no rust at all. That said, these laminated blade knives can be quickly sharpened to a wicked edge. Just make sure you use the existing bevel on the knife to guide your sharpening strokes - these knives do not benefit from a secondary bevel. If you haven't already looked at the spoon carving world, There is all kinds of information on Youtube and other sources.

Rick in Oakville

Comment

So how do I sharpen this knife. What grit stone I need? I can strop it but it won't help if it is not sharp.

Comment

Use the same sharpening medium you use on chisels and plane blades. If you use water stones, try something in the 1000 grit range until you get a burr and then go to 4000 or 6000 and you should be able to finish on a strop with green compound. Press down onto the stone so that the knife bevel is completely on the stone. You need to rotate the blade as you follow the bevel around the curve at the tip of the blade.

Rick in Oakville

Comment

I don't have any stones but I'll try wet sand paper. I've contacted Amazon and Mora. This is not the quality I expected from Mora. Here are the photo of the knife.

Click image for larger version

Name:	file1-11.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	1158774Click image for larger version

Name:	file3-11.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1158775

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...