Excalibur EX 21

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur EX 21

I am very disappointed with my Excalibur EX21. Often the blade tensioner flips over and sometimes one end of the blade becomes detached. Does anyone have the same problem or have a solution?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Excalibur EX 21

I don't own one of those saws but it sounds to me as if you have the same problem that I attempted to help Maizie with on her little Delta scroll saw. I had similar issues with my older scroll saw and the problem was worn blade grips that could not be tightened to adequately grip the blades. I took the jaws off the blade (holder/chuck/grip/whatever) and found that continual blade slippage had scored the jaws. On my Delta, the jaws are hardened steel but a couple of strokes with a diamond file had everything clamping up again. BTW, the repair has lasted for several years now.

Just my guess; sight unseen.

Ken

Comment

thanks Ken. I bought the saw new and it has never met the standards that I loved in my previous delta saw. The mother board was destroyed by a lighting strike. That was a beautiful saw. I thought Excalibur would be better, but what a disappointment. I don't scroll much now (not at all)

Comment

Try asking your question at this forum http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/. A lot of EX users that may be able to suggest a fix. My EX does it also but only when cutting aggressively.

Comment

Originally posted by le in ingersoll View Post
          Often the blade tensioner flips over and sometimes one end of the blade becomes detached.
          I picked up a used EX-21 a few week ago.

What you mentioned has happened to me twice. It started when I adjusted the round tension knob at the back of the saw. When I backed off my change, the lever stopped flipping up, and has not happened since.

Comment

I have a had an EX-21 for 8 years now and it gets used a LOT and the blade does break or slip out occasionally. It usually my fault of pushing too hard or letting the blade get dull.

I use Flying Dutchman Ultra reverse 99% of the time and found that some time there is a little oil on the blades so I have a sanding station right beside my scroll saw so I scuff up each end.

I also wrap hard wood with box tape that helps.

You should not play with the knob at the back for tension. See article below.

There are a couple of good articles on Shelia Landy's site

http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/a...mp-maintenance
            http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/a...calibur-tuning
            Don McFarland
            ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club
            http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by Don in Brooklin On View Post
              I have a had an EX-21 for 8 years now and it gets used a LOT and the blade does break or slip out occasionally.
              One thing the Internet is good for is making information available.

One thing the internet is bad for is making information available, from anyone, with no way to validate the information.

I have read that both deWalt and Excalibur type saws can have their heads warn over time, to the point that blades are not held as well. Overtightening can force the head to spread a little, giving poorer grip on the blades since the hold bolt is no longer aligned with the set screw it pushes against. Replacing the heads is the only solution if this is very bad.

As someone who has used an EX-21 for many years, have you run into this? Or heard of it happening to anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Don in Brooklin On View Post
                Don - thanks for those links!

Went over the tuning article, and found more stuff to adjust on my Ex-21. For example, the upper arm was far, far lower at the blade end than at the rear. Took quite a bit of adjustment to get it even. Then took quite a bit of turning to reduce the blade movement, even had to move the motor screws to new holes.

Runs better, but it still will would not pass the nickel test. One more thing to check, once I can get the right sized wrench bent far enough.

Thanks again!

Comment

We have 2 Ex-21's that we got used from an old school shop. One had the issue of the blade holder flopping free more often than I liked. The issue was fixed with a file.

The white plastic arm has a flat spot on the bottom that is the "latch" to hold the arm down under tension. What had happened in the corner from the rounded end to that flat spot had worn to a rounded corner and allowed the arm to slip open. I took a flat file and after popping the plastic arm off, refiled the flat spot to enhance the corner that acted as the lock. That solved the problem.

I suspect it developed by having the back knob too tight and the force on the plastic just wore the bit of a corner out over time.

For the blade holder, there is a set screw on one side and the thumb screw on the other that that holds the blade and either/both can be worn. New ones of those may fix your issue. If you can not (or do not want to) find new ones, try a bit (very little) bit of JB weld on the end of the screw and refile to flat if it is can grip the blade. The thumb screw has a little cap on there end that rotates as you tighten on the blade so that you do not twist the blade, so do not glue that solid.

Comment

Working...
                  X