Wood for Christmas Ornaments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood for Christmas Ornaments

I am going to cut a few small(ish) Christmas ornaments, and have a question for those who have done similar items in the past.

The plans usually call for 1/4" thick wood.

What works best - 1/4" baltic birch plywood, or a hardwood that is 1/4" thick?

Thanks!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Wood for Christmas Ornaments

It depends on the size and usage. I used to cut 100+ every year when I was doing the craft show circuit and preferred hardwood as it looked nicer and there were more options. I stuck mainly with closed grain woods such as cherry, walnut, and maple. My main ones were tree ornaments and never had issues with breakage. Once you get larger than tree ornaments I switched to Baltic birch. Another tip if you are not aware is to stack cut your ornaments. Go 3 high and it makes it easier to control while cutting and you get a 3 for 1 deal.
    Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood1207 View Post
      .....preferred hardwood as it looked nicer and there were more options. I stuck mainly with closed grain woods such as cherry, walnut, and maple. My main ones were tree ornaments and never had issues with breakage. Once you get larger than tree ornaments I switched to Baltic birch. Another tip if you are not aware is to stack cut your ornaments. Go 3 high and it makes it easier to control while cutting and you get a 3 for 1 deal.
      Jamie - thanks!

What was your source for 1/4" hardwood? Or did you resaw yourself?

Resawing is not something I have tacked. As far as I can see, resawing a 3/4" board would give you two 5/16" boards, which allows you 1/16" to smooth the cut side. Is that about right?

As to using baltic birch - how does it look for any sort of ornament, given the way the edge of plywood looks?

Yes, I was figuring on stack cutting.

Comment

I would resaw or in a lot of cases as I was newly separated and money was tight I would take wood off my mothers wood pile and saw off slices. I would have to check but I believe mine were around 1/8” to 3/16” thick so resawing 3/4” wasn’t a problem. The 1/4” Baltic birch didn’t have as much visual appeal in my opinion vs hardwood but there is nothing wrong with it. I made some larger hanging ornaments out of it and also some framed pictures. I would say you generally wouldn’t notice the edges unless you looked for them. When you look at the ornaments your eyes are drawn to what is cut vs the edges.
        Jamie www.turneddesignsbyjamie.etsy.com

Comment

I cut mine from box cut-offs and such; 1/4 inch thick hardwood as Jamie said. There are always scraps around here that make nice Christmas tree ornaments. I think that the nicest ones I have made are of walnut, cherry and Indian rosewood but maple and other close-grained woods can look pretty nice too, especially so if the design is intricate enough to draw the eye away from the lack of interesting grain. I made a few from Baltic Birch plywood but I found that they splintered rather badly on the tiniest details. Also, I don't stack cut my ornaments as I don't find that works well with the more intricate designs that I prefer.

My 2 cents

Ken

Comment

Working...
          X