Scroll saw footswitch recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll saw footswitch recommendation

Looking to buy a footswitch for my Black & Decker scroll saw. Motor is 120V 1.3 amp. Any recommendations? Anything to avoid?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Scroll saw footswitch recommendation

https://www.busybeetools.com/search?q=foot+switch

Comment

Thanks for the link, both linked switches are the type where you need to hold the switch down to keep the saw on rather than a momentary switch which turns the saw on/off with each touch. Do you find that style switch better? Not having used a foot switch, my first thought would be that the momentary style switch would be more convenient.

Comment

I use that style on the table for my mitre saw. I plug the stand into the switch, then the saw and vacuum into the stand. I leave the vacuum turned on so that when I depress the pedal the vac comes on I can then operate the saw and when I lift my foot off the switch the vac goes off.

I can see some advantages to "on and stay on until pressed again", but I like that when I lift my foot everything stops.

Comment

John, do you use that style switch on a scroll saw or just your miter saw? Don't have a mitre saw but I envision the saw is on for a relatively short period of time per cut compared to a scroll saw where the saw may be on for 3 or 4 minutes at a time and holding down the switch might get tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
            John, do you use that style switch on a scroll saw or just your miter saw? Don't have a mitre saw but I envision the saw is on for a relatively short period of time per cut compared to a scroll saw where the saw may be on for 3 or 4 minutes at a time and holding down the switch might get tedious.
            Yes, you are 100% correct. Amazon Canada does sell on/off and momentary contact pedal switches.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
              Thanks for the link, both linked switches are the type where you need to hold the switch down to keep the saw on rather than a momentary switch which turns the saw on/off with each touch. Do you find that style switch better? Not having used a foot switch, my first thought would be that the momentary style switch would be more convenient.
              I don't use one with my scroll saw. To use one that clicks on and stays on till you click it off is not to much more useful IMO than the switch on the scroll saw. If you prefer this type of switch I don't know if they are easily available, but one is easy to make using a toggle switch in a box with a rocker mounted peddle to flip the toggle on and off. If I went this way I would prefer the one that stays on as long as you hold the peddle in, this would prevent your foot wandering and give instant reaction for stopping.
              ehender2 likes this.

Comment

I agree the hold down type of switch would avoid having to search for the switch with your foot if you need to shut off the saw in a hurry. Wondering which style guys or gals who do a lot of scrolling find most convenient. Going away for a couple of weeks so won't be buying until I get back so I have time to get some more feedback.

Comment

I have the dead man switch on my scroll saw. Great safety feature as it shuts off when you remove your foot. You don't have to look around at all.

I have the "on off" type on my sanding station as I have a two prong plug so it turns on the sander and the dust collector at the same time.

I have 2 others on other machines. Deadman on my Dremel and the on-off max max mop.

I got mine from Harbor Freight in the US as we go on enough road trips. The cost is $13.99 US funds and I usually have a coupon so it is less than $18 CDN
                  Don McFarland
                  ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club
                  http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Ordered a deadman style switch from Amazon and tried it today. Works like a charm. Now just have to remember that I don't need to reach for the switch on the saw when I need to shut it off.

Comment

I bought a few Linemaster Clipper foot switches which I gave not used yet. I think one one the tablesaw would be useful. Usually if you need shutdown part way into a cut, you are not in a good position to reach the switch.
                      Don’t forget to use a safety cover or doghouse. I picked these up on eBay.

Comment

Working...
                      X