Need your Intarsia advise for 3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your Intarsia advise for 3D

I am working on a intarsia project of a Great blue Heron. Looking for intarsia fans, models, and advises, I went by accident on the "Scroolsaw village!" site! WOW !
    So I know there are some experience intarsia craftsman ( woman too.... ) so here I am with my questions on that projet.

First , this is what I want to do:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1027629125_7-Copie-Copie.thumb.jpg.ab8e2aced878c8aa05b796d972f72a77.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1254325
    I am at the stage of giving some 3D effect, and here are the photos and comments of that section.

This is before putting some rising pieces behind the central wings

Name:	IMG_0632__1570323663_19625.thumb.jpg.c67bbfe06876c6c2ff9205d9cc4fa3a8.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	1254326

and now with the risers in place

Name:	IMG_0652__1570323441_65421.thumb.jpg.aec15f834e2f8c5351f922d006a6cf69.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1254327

Name:	IMG_0649__1570323383_88543.thumb.jpg.5a88809325ce8402705eba8bf7ca4afb.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1254328

My questions : Can I do better for a 3D effects before beginning to rounded the wings? And how and with which wing would you start to rounded those wings?
    Exterior or middle one ?

Thank you

planeur

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need your Intarsia advise for 3D

Think about what part of the bird would be closest to you if it was alive. then add or take away material depending on what is closest and farthest from you. remember that the wing in real life would curve in two directions not just one.
    When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Thanks a lot Lisa, good suggestions.
      What would you do yourself ? Do I have enough 3 D dimension on those wings?
      When you say multi direction for the wing, it could be going on each side + downside and also toward me.
      I did not work on the wings since I put the risers.
      I would rounded each wing on the top and button to accentuate the effect of 3D, and also on each side, perhaps going to almost nothing.

I have the feeling you have a good experience with intarsia....!
      I do not have the eyes of a sculptor, so that is why It is difficult for me when I have to do that kind of work, but , but less and less !

Planeur

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180930_155730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	1254385

think about the shapes...look at pictures of the bird, , of feathers...you may need to break up the feathers into smaller bunches...think about what the layers of feathers look like...when you start shaping each feather it will start to make more sence. Also don't be scared to put it away from your sight for a few days. When you come back to it pencil in what you see you need to do so you keep the fresh look as long as possible

there are good Facebook page groups to look at too. Intarsia nuts is one of themClick image for larger version  Name:	20180930_155730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	1254384
        Last edited by Chimera; 10-06-2019, 09:23 PM.
        When someone tells you it can't be done, it's a reflection of their limitations, not yours.

Comment

Well Lisa I was wright , you are an expert in the matter! Your Owl is beautyful and I understand more what you say! WOW what a piece !
          What size is the owl ?

I visited last night the "intarsia nut " site, and It will become a favorite as the "scroolsaw village " that you probably know and use.

Are we always suppose to use the wood matching the color we want ? Or adding some color is Ok. Probably sometime we do not have choice.
          I went aslo by accident to the "Judy Gale Robert" site, and from what I saw she seem a "Master" of intarsia, and she seem to give some course.
          From what I see of your Owl you are probably also a Master!

And as you said I have no choice to stay away from my heron because our flowers garden need me before winter!

Thanks again, I appreciate , have a good day!

planeur

Comment

I am not an expert I have only done three for four pieces. I see now when I look at the picture how much more I should have done....also that helps to take a picture and look at it on the computer. It shows you a lot about your choices of color and shape, more than real life for some reason.

sometimes you are not ever going to get a color like blue out of wood. Use of tones rather than colors then, is what you have to use. you know like a black and white photo. Though you can get a sort of blue from pine that has blue stain.

the owl is on an 18 inch yellow heart moon...that gives you some idea of the size. It is easier to do bigger pieces than smaller pieces. A Canadian tire oscillating drum sander was the best tool I have ever used for these types of projects.

I am familiar with Kathy Wise and Judy Robert. a lot of women do intarsia. Have fun most of all.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Look at how the feathers lay in this picture

Name:	FB_IMG_1570469776083.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1254497

Comment

In fact they can look different and any other setup and they can be OK for me, as you say. I do not have to “copy” exactly my model. If it is realistic, even with other colour than real, as you perhaps noticed, I don’t care . They surely have somewere Blue Heron with those Colors......!
                I did some test today for cutting line on each wing and I will do it.
                This bird always fascinated me, when I was doing more “ bird watching” .
                I seem a little stressed , it is because I am perfectionnic man for some detail.
                Merci Lisa for your support, and excuse my English, I had lost some over the year not using it enough!

planeur
                Last edited by planeur; 10-07-2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X