Keeping green wood green?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping green wood green?

I've never really done any carving or whittling but at the side of the road yesterday picked up a number of small pieces of yellow cedar that had split off a log recently cut. I'm talking an inch or so square by 6 inches long. How can I keep them from drying out until I get around to putting the knife to them? Will they go mouldy in a zip lock? Should I put them in the freezer? Should I put water in the bag?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Keeping green wood green?

Cover the endgrain with a sealer - anything from paint to wax to Anchorseal.
    Pentacryl is expensive but can be used when working with a piece but have to leave it to come back later. I have used it occasionally.
    Both available at LV.

Noel
    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "
    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

And end grain sealer will slow the drying, but to keep it green, I think your best bet is to submerge it in water.
      Chris Wong
      http://flairwoodworks.com

If you have a hard time getting things perfectly level, maybe you need a First Guess Gravity Gauge.

Comment

I have some Pentacryl and have used it in the past to keep a burl from cracking as it dries. I think in this case I'll try Chris' suggestion of keeping the pieces in water.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
        X