Scroll saw in the $500 range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll saw in the $500 range

I have been looking at scroll saws online for a couple of weeks. I finally found a local store that had one of the cheap $200 saws and after quick inspection, found out that those machines were barely one step above Fisher-Price. I was considering used saws, but most looked worn and searches for parts turned up few results. I saw a Dewalt, but he wouldn't go under $500 and I can get one brand new for $539. I saw 2 other barely used Dewalts for $400, but they were both 9 hour drives away. I saw that Delta made an almost identical saw to the Dewalt for cheaper, but can't find it anywhere. The bigger Excaliburs (Excelsior) are out of my price range, but I saw that the Excelsior comes in a 16" model ... What is better between the Dewalt or the Excelsior? The Excelsior is $699 and a bit smaller, so would probably fit in my shop better, but would I be better off with the bigger table? Are there any other saws in that price range (the $699 is actually more than I would like to spend, but if it is a far better saw....The Dewalt at $539 is not too far out of my reach. Had I found a used Dewalt locally for around $400 I probably would have dove on it )

I apologize for starting a thread, I'm sure there has to be other threads on buying scroll saws, but I did a search and only found a thread on the best scroll saws for masters and those are of my current price range.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Scroll saw in the $500 range

Hi Pete, are you focussed on buying something new, or would you consider an older/vintage saw? You can often find good quality Beaver/ Delta/Rockwell units on Kijiji. Some are in rough shape, but not all.
    And there’s an Excalibur for sale in Gatineau…

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/g...rce=ios_social
    Last edited by Coop42; 01-15-2020, 12:38 AM. Reason: link added

Comment

This is one case where I'd have a good look at used scroll saws. I owned a Ryobi scroll saw first, many years ago. It was cheap at about $150 and worked fine. I have since replaced it with a Beaver scroll saw and I doubt I could get as decent of a saw new for anywhere near the money that I'd pay for a good used one with way more quality.

Comment

Vintage delta in the swap meet,maybe you could set up a rucker

Comment

Originally posted by Coop42 View Post
          Hi Pete, are you focussed on buying something new, or would you consider an older/vintage saw? You can often find good quality Beaver/ Delta/Rockwell units on Kijiji. Some are in rough shape, but not all.
          And there’s an Excalibur for sale in Gatineau…

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/g...rce=ios_social
          I had seen that one, but didn't realize it was an Excalibur, I had just seen the thumbnail ... Do you know if they still have parts for that older (original?) model? ... That is my only issue with buying an old saw or even a new saw, I want to be sure parts are available! I am done with trying to get parts machined and modifications ... and its incredible at how many new tools you can't get parts for!

Comment

That is a very old Excalibur before the Sommervile sold to General. They were a very good machine but check if variable speed or not. From the scroll saw forums that I am a member of I undersand that part are no longer available but there are lots of machines still running strong.

If you are really serious about Scroll Sawing then buy the best you can afford.

You may see some Excaliburs on sale but are made in China versus the ones made in Tiwan. The Excelsior by King is the same design as the Old Excalibur. The new Pegas, Jet and Seyco come from same plant with some variations.

He is a quote from Steve Good ....

Very few scrollers need a 30" throat scroll saw. If you are one of those who do you already know it.

The
            16" King scroll saw will cut 95% of all the patterns you see on my blog. Maybe more. Just make sure you think through what you believe you will want to cut before you decide on a 16" scroll saw over a 21" model. If you are confident that the 16" model will meet your future needs then this is a well made saw

I have an Excalibur EX-21 for 10 years now. It is used nearly every day and I have only replaced the clamps because I stripped the threads (My fault). It was about $750 when I bought it and so if you look at $75 a year it is not bad. The reason that I bought it was the arm stays up on its own, the head tilts versus the table. (very helpful if you ever think about doing bowls), plus you never have to adjust the tension.

Good luck in your search. Eventually a good one will turn up.

WeQuick likes this.
            Don McFarland
            ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club
            http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Yes, I liked the Excalibur (Excelsior) for the same reasons you listed. I doubt I would need to adjust for angled cuts very often, but the tilting head makes so much more sense...

As for the old Sommerville, I wrote to ask about it but haven't received a reply (probably why its been up for sale for over a month)

I managed to save some money I had intended on spending on a new Bosch Colt router today by getting it free with Airmiles, so the King is less out of my reach. I still can't believe that there are no other companies with a decent pin-less mid-range saw. I mean, before I start spending $1000, I think I would invest in a CNC!

Comment

Working...
              X