Excalibur Potentiometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur Potentiometer

Does anyone know if the potentiometer in an Excalibur EX-21 is linear or log?

Due to an unfortunate accident today, I need a new one.

Thanks in advance!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Excalibur Potentiometer

My educated guess would be linear. Log pots are usually for audio volume controls.
    Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

Originally posted by guylavoie View Post
      My educated guess would be linear. Log pots are usually for audio volume controls.
      Thanks! That makes sense.

Managed to damage the one on my saw. Seyco lists them, but they won't ship the part to Canada.

Sayal has one that looks similar and is the right impedence. Will check my saw in the morning, see if the leads are soldered or press fit. Maybe I will get lucky and it will be a $2.00 fix.....

Comment

Mine died so I got one off the web like this one. Works fine. Let me know if you find a better solution
        MikeClick image for larger version

Name:	83875D0A-9D53-4101-A820-991D7C6BEE0B.jpeg
Views:	123
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	1300893

Comment

Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post
          Mine died so I got one off the web like this one. Works fine. Let me know if you find a better solution
          Mike - that is interesting!

Where did you attach it? How did you wire it?

Comment

Very simple. I found a metal box to house it and attached to the base using the same screw holes as the previous one. Power wires from power cord to the power terminals and and DC motor wires to the other 2. Was Super easy. Tool Fan (Rory) put me onto it
            Mike
            Last edited by Soak-N-Fused; 10-20-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Robert, curiously wondering how you made out with the scroll saw?
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post
                Robert, curiously wondering how you made out with the scroll saw?
                Mike:

Thanks for asking!

Pulled the pot out and went to short out the leads, so that the saw would work albeit at full speed. As soon as I hit the foot switch, it worked. Put it back together, and in spite of the occasional wack upside the head, it continues to work. At a slower rate than usual, and with no control, but it works.

Contacted Seyco in Texas, and they provided a price of about $68.00CDN to ship the part up to me. That is the proper way to go, but it will require disassembling the saw to get at the control board, since the new part comes with cable attached. The manual I have has great exploded views of the saw, but it will still be an adventure.

I am still on the fence about getting a $2.00 part of Sayal in Mississauga that should work. The wires are soldered to the pot, and I think I can desolder them and attach to the new pot.

However, I have a lot of scroll sawing to do for Christmas stuff, so I am hesitant to do anything as long as the saw is working. Once the backlog is cleared, then I will have to make a decision.

Comment

Can you not just use a router speed control on the power plug now that it is fixed speed?

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                    Can you not just use a router speed control on the power plug now that it is fixed speed?
                    In theory, yes. I assume you mean one that goes on the power line - I have no idea how well the saw would work with one of those. I don't know how the control board would react to having a drop in power.

Plus I would have to short out the pot to force the saw to its highest speed. If I am going to do that, I might as well either try the Sayal $2.00 pot, or get the right part from Seyco.

Busy Bee has a scroll saw power unit for $62. Since the correct part is $68, I might be better getting the correct part and seeing is I can take a saw apart and put it back together in working order, without too many bit and pieces left over.

Comment

The new pot arrived from Texas last Thursday.

Finally got the nerve up to try disassembling my Excalibur today. Went well! The saw is now back to normal operation.
                      mbowler likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X