Excalibur EX-30 blade tension?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur EX-30 blade tension?!?

I've recently purchase a near new (only used for a few projects) General EX-30 Black version. What I'm finding is that if I install a blade smaller than #3 (ie: #1 or smaller in either Olson, FD, Pegas or Saw Bird blades) when I flip the tension lever... If the blade doesn't snap immediately, it will as soon as I touch wood to the blade. I do have the upper arm parallel to the table so... this leads me to believe that the 7mm tension lever may be just a bit too much tension. As I research, I am led to believe that the EX-16 and EX-21 both use the 5mm tension lever. Question that I have is has anyone ever run into this with their Excalibur, if so what was your remedy?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Excalibur EX-30 blade tension?!?

Get a King Industrial KLX21-21 manual free to download
    But first turn the upper arm tension knob to reduce or increase tension. That's the large black knob at the top rear of the machine
    Good luck that's a really good machine I only have the KLX-16
    Imliking likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftFinger View Post
      Get a King Industrial KLX21-21 manual free to download
      But first turn the upper arm tension knob to reduce or increase tension. That's the large black knob at the top rear of the machine
      I had a look at the King manual. They do say to use the arm knob to alter tension.

King is the only one who says that! All other manuals, and online resources, say that the arm knob is NOT for tension. It is used to ensure the upper arm is parallel to the lower arm - or parallel to the table, since the table should be parallel to the lower arm.

Tension is controlled by the lever on the chuck. It is spring loaded, so tension "should" always be consistent.

I find that my saw (Excalibur EX-21) runs smoother, cuts better, and breaks fewer blades when I check the arm height before each session. Created a gauge - a piece of wood just under 2 3/4" high - to check the arm height. When the arm is set correctly, the gauge just slides under the arm at both the back and the front. Took a few tries to get the right dimensions, but it is well worth the work. Drilled a couple of shallow holes and glued in magnets, so the gauge lives at the back of the upper arm.

I have been breaking a few blades lately. Seem restricted to a couple of batches of blades, so I wonder if it might be related to manufacturing variances, or poor quality control. Started a discussion about this on the Scrollsaw Workshop forum, and got very similar feedback.
      Imliking likes this.

Comment

They say to use the knob to fine tune the blade tension and having the arm parallel seems awful close to the sweet spot
        Imliking likes this.

Comment

Working...
        X