Scroll Saw Dust Capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scroll Saw Dust Capture

What is the general consensus on scroll saw dust capture? Do they work well enough that you always use it? Does it get in to the road of the blade chucks when doing top feeding?

I see that new scroll saws have something under the table to capture dust, and the ability to use a shop vac or dust collection system with adapter to suck away dust.

My Excalibur EX21 was built before these existed. There is a fair bit of dust falling down, which would be nice to pull away.

However, there is also dust put into the air above the table. Does the modern dust capture systems change the above-table dust at all? This would seem to be the dust we would end up breathing in, rather than the dust below the table.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Scroll Saw Dust Capture

I have a King EX16 with the dust port under the table. Lets just say I am slightly under whelmed by the performance. The tilt is restricted in one direction if its in place.

As for above the table dust I don't see a lot of performance throttling a 4" pipe down to 2"
    Last edited by LeftFinger; 01-26-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I just added a platform/shelf under my wife's Delta scroll saw blade to catch the "dust" that would fall on her lap. There we not really much "dust" in the air to worry about real dust collection. She uses 00 and puzzle blades mostly, and there is not much wood cut. Once she is done, then she can vacuum out the shelf.
      LeftFinger likes this.

Comment

Was doing lots of research on the DustRouter from Milescraft for my router table and happened across some views that it also will work for a scroll saw and a bandsaw. Have ordered 2 of the silicone dust cups and am gonna see how that works out. I have some LineLoc flexible piping for above the table.
        Will report back once I get it under way.
        Mike

Comment

Hello Robert

I have also the excalibur scrollsaw , and look what I did to improved a lot the aspiration of the dust :

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...ibur-scrollsaw
          And it is working superbely !
          If I may help you it is OK.

planeur
          LeftFinger likes this.

Comment

I don't do anything special for my Delta saw. There is no noticeable dust flying around it anyway since the vast majority of the sawdust just lands on the shelf of the stand. I use the shop vacuum to clean it up at the end of a cutting session. It is probably the cleanest power tool that I have from a shop dust perspective!

Ken

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X