Flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flicker

Saw one in my back yard back in October. I watched for about 20 minutes as it was devouring insects out of my grass. Such a beautiful bird. I haven't seen one in many years and mentioned it to a power woodcarving friend and asked why you don't see carved examples of this spectacular bird. He said he had never carved one (he mostly does ducks and loons) and also couldn't remember seeing a carving.
    Anyway at Xmas he shows up with a brown grocery bag with this inside. Totally blew me away!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3025 2.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1317789 I did some reading and it appears they are diminishing in numbers and it's suggested there is a need for nesting boxes to encourage more urban birds.
    So here's a plan
    northern-flicker.pdf

Pete
    sophien and Chimera like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Flicker

WOW outstanding ! Lucky man!
    Sculptor very good. Did he sculpted other birds?
    I have this "pic flamboyant " ( in french ) here in my backyard, and he like very much eating ants ! Yes it is a beautiful woodpecker .

planeur

Comment

Wow what a beautiful Pecker.
      That doesnt sound appropriate, oh well.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

Your friend nailed it!

We have northern flickers out here, too, where they seem to prefer nesting in arbutus tree hollows. Thanks for posting the link to the nesting box.

Apropos of nothing, the first one I saw here was the day I took possession of my property. I unlocked the house for the first time and immediately noticed a weird noise coming from the long-disused wood stove. I opened the door and out popped a rather sooty northern flicker. That was one happy bird! They're quite a delight to watch.

Comment

We've had them behind us in the forest ever since we moved here in '88.
          But you can get a lot closer to yours, Pete, lucky guy.
          Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Coincidentally, an artist friend of mine is painting one right now.

https://www.facebook.com/kennethafer...vity&ref=notif

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

That's a great carving .... so life like! We have Flickers here in great numbers during the summer. They like taking dust-baths in the soft sand/gravel at the edge of the sideroads.

Comment

Working...
              X