X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak Jim
    replied
    I'm gobsmacked! That is stunning work.

For comparison, here is an image of the original artist's work. Pretty well nailed it I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Smith
    replied
    Beautiful, my only thought is you lost some of the umbrella's shape which takes away from the main focus of the original piece. Otherwise that's quite a impressive undertaking.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• darrin1200
    replied
    A truly amazing piece of art.

Leave a comment:

• Grailwoodworks
    replied
    Amazing!

Leave a comment:

• nugsthecat
    replied
    Great work as always, thanks for sharing.

Leave a comment:

• beachburl
    replied
    Well, there's something else I'd never try.
    NIce.

Leave a comment:

• bkrits
    replied
    Very very nice and very very clever, I agree with all that is said above, that is award winning stuff.
    Is this your first try at marquetry and will you be doing more?
    I can see more than 200 hours there would have to be a fair bit of planning before you started, I would like to have been a fly on your wall while you were at work on this.

Leave a comment:

• Jim near the Tay
    replied
    Really, really nice work. Do you sell your work, or is it for your own satisfaction?

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• QC Inspector
    replied
    I'm in awe. Brilliant.

Pete

Leave a comment:

• oahzmit
    replied
    I cut from pre-colored veneers, many of them hot sanded or bleached to change the tone. At the end I slightly sanded the surface but left the wood texture to mimic the oil painting on canvas.

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    Easy to believe the 200+ hours. Did you cut the pieces out of pre coloured stock or was each little piece coloured individually? Is the surface sanded at the end or is there texture to the work?

Leave a comment:

• redlee
    replied
    Holy S@%& , thats nice work. I really like that.
    Gallery Worthy.

Leave a comment:

• oahzmit
    started a topic A nice try of Impressionism on marquetry

A nice try of Impressionism on marquetry

Most marquetry workers agree that Impressionism is not a good subject matter for marquetry, because of the wild color arrangement without clear borderline. Well, here I tried to challenge my patience and skill by making Leonid Afremov’s “Mysterious Rain Princess”, 11”x11”.

it took me 6 months (200+. Hours) arduous work to complete this piece. Most veneers are dyed, possibly hot sanded or bleached to make them darker or lighter. The finish is varnish.

the first picture is the original, others are my woodwork. Enjoy.
    Last edited by oahzmit; 09-06-2021, 05:21 PM.
Working...
X