Excalibur motor rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excalibur motor rebuild

My variable speed motor on the Excalibur has a lot of dead spots when turning up the speed control. It is a Parametrics motor, Any ideas where in the GTHA area that would re build this at a reasonable price??? If not any suggestions for a replacement v/s motor???
    Ian
    But on the other hand, I have five fingers!!!!!!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Excalibur motor rebuild

Here is one in Buffalo NY

not motor repair but the controls

https://www.controlrepair.com

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

It might be the controller. Take it to motor shop and they’ll get you the answer. Had similar with one of my previous ones.
      Mike

Comment

I am guessing the problem is not the motor but rather the potentiometer used in the speed control. Spray electrical contact cleaner into the potentiometer and turn the knob a few times. Pots have a continuous resistant strip inside and sawdust, oils, or other crud accumulates in spots and you have a break in the circuit causing a dead spot. Usually you can get access to inside the pot around the area where the wires connect. I have repaired dozens of these in school shops and this and simulator problems with the on/ off switch are very, very common.
        Soak-N-Fused likes this.

Comment

you might check the resistance and maybe take pics of the pot in case you need a new pot. see if there is any ID marks before you blast it with contact cleaner. maybe unsolder the wires if they aren't hard to work on or access, then you can measure it with a meter. you could try dust off first too, if it's dust then that may be ok. if it has more than two wires take pics so you aren't confused later. you can check with an analog meter if the resistance is "lumpy"

Comment

Removed the Pot gave it a few blasts with compressor, re assembled and works much better!!! I have RPM gage that I tested on the exposed shaft and it showed Low speed of 1300 RPM and high speed of 1650. are these numbers correct???? thanks for your input.
            Ian
            But on the other hand, I have five fingers!!!!!!

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

glad to hear you fixed it.

Comment

Working...
              X