Flywheel Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel Removal

Hi, I have 3 very nice DC motors that have heavy flywheels that I am unable to remove. The flywheels have serpentine grooved pulleys welded to them and are threaded onto the drive shaft with left hand threads. The problem is that the drive shaft is only on the flywheel end and the flywheels are so close to the motor body that there is insufficient space to grasp the shaft and twist the flywheels off. I have tried penetrating oil, coca cola and tried turning the motors on and grasping the flywheels (with gloves) and am not able to budge them. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Two of the motors Specs Flywheel Flywheel
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Flywheel Removal

Wonder if they use locktite on some. I have one with cast blades on the motor side. Thought a sharp wrap with a hammer would spin it off. Have 4 or 5 fins broken off now and still no movement.

Greg

Comment

I managed to get one off. One had the driveshaft extending about 1/2" beyond the flywheel. There was enough there to grab it with my drill and between turning the drill and the flywheel it loosened and came off. The other looks a little tougher. I am thinking about tapping a bolt into the end of the drive shaft. I am hoping for a better solution, so if anyone has any other ideas...................

Comment

You cant get a gear puller on it and pull them off?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg from K/W View Post
          You cant get a gear puller on it and pull them off?
          I can get a gear puller on, but the flywheels are threaded onto the driveshaft.

Comment

I would try heating the wheel to see if that would break the joint.

Glenn

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Ok ya duh I would try heating it up too. Might make your persuasion go easier.

Comment

Flywheels Freed! I actually contacted Leeson in the hopes that someone there might know how to get the flywheels off. I did get a response suggesting that I lock the flywheel in a vice and then use an impact driver or flat head screw driver in the slot on the drive shaft. That did not work, probably because of the combination of a screw driver that was too small and the softness of the driveshaft material. So I made a larger flat head driver by grinding the threaded end of a short bolt. I made it a tight fit and with a 24" torque wrench on the bolt and the flywheel secure in the vice I managed to turn it loose.

Heat may have worked to expand the flywheel and get it loose, although it would be hard to heat up the flywheel and not at the same time heat up the drive shaft. Here is a picture of my flywheel removal tool
                f350ca likes this.

Comment

Have you checked the other end of the shaft? On water pumps I have worked on the other end had a slot for large flat blade screw drive to hold the shaft and unscrew the impellar from the opposite end.

Comment

Yup, on one motor there is a slot and that is where I put my flywheel removal tool depicted above. It worked.

Comment

Working...
                    X