Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY insulated panels

Hey everyone,
    Just here looking for information/experiences. I have moved a timberframe barn on to a proper concrete foundation. The frame is structurally sound and in looking to insulate the outside with possible a diy insulated panels. I plan on sourceing 5 1/2" eps and sandwiching it between 7/16 OSB and 3/16" mahogany luan. I've done some research and plan on making 4x8 panels by using pl 300 glue and gluing the OSB and luan to the eps then applying pressure by placing a stack of OSB on top of the panel with a forklift. Has anyone tried something like this? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: DIY insulated panels

If you have a proper form setup to prevent the sandwich from moving or sliding on the glue and becoming misaligned there's no reason why you can't make several sandwiches on top of one another and apply weight/pressure as you go. Expanded PolyStyrene will require a particular glue that will not eat the foam. After glue up the panels could be trimmed and or machined to create a tongue and groove to enable a continuous fit like walk in freezer panels. Google freezer panels!
    Tronmega likes this.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Thanks Rusty, I started working on a little mock up panel today. I went to rona and grabbed a sheet of 2" EPS, 7/16" OSB, 1/4" mahogany luan and a couple tubes of Pl 300 foam board adhesive. I glued up 2- 2'x2' panels and 1 -3"x2' strip using the PL 300 specs. I placed everything on my shop floor and placed some cinder blocks on top of the panels. Tomorrow I'll route a 1/2" Grove out of the foam around the perimeter of panels and use OSB strips as splines to connect the 2 panels. Let me know what you think and as I said before any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
      Attached Files

Comment

How many of these 4 x 8 panels do you envision having to make?
        Start slow; wind down gracefuilly

Comment

There's no question about doing it. It can be done and your test proves that. I guess the questions would be cost, accessing the products and what do you see as the final product. Will the OSB be inside or outside? Will the exterior be sided with another product or simply painted or something totally different? Have you priced manufactured panels? How do you plan to fasten the panels in place?

A couple of years ago Igor began building his new shop with a plan to use old freezer panels in the wall sections to provide Insulation. That plan was dropped and his build thread is available on this forum. You may want to refer to it because although his shop was brand new it was of course similar to any structure including an old barn probably much like yours.

Did you look up old freezer and or walk in cooler panels and their construction in terms of installation and erection. Those panels are metal faced both sides. Very strong and fit together via tongue and groove. That methodology could certainly provide insight for you.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

hey guys thanks for the feed back.
            The barn needs 50- 4x8 panels... lol seems alittle crazy now that I say it ha, but definitely doable. I priced for sips panels with mahogany on the inside and osb on the outside of the panel and it was $15000. that's around 7.5 you 8 dollars a square ft. The materials for the DIY panels should be around 3500 plus the EPS ( have not locked down a price yet). So depending on the EPS price and labour it might be worth it. I have found out that it would be

Comment

....I have found out that it would be pretty hard to make all the panels square and accurate, at least with using full 4x8sheets there will be no cutting. on a smaller scale I think if would be a good idea. I think I might just look into sprayfoam though. my mock up panel worked pretty well though here's some pics.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tronmega View Post
                hey guys thanks for the feed back.
                The barn needs 50- 4x8 panels... lol seems alittle crazy now that I say it ha, but definitely doable. I priced for sips panels with mahogany on the inside and osb on the outside of the panel and it was $15000. that's around 7.5 you 8 dollars a square ft. The materials for the DIY panels should be around 3500 plus the EPS ( have not locked down a price yet). So depending on the EPS price and labour it might be worth it. I have found out that it would be
                Thats a pretty good price for panels. EPS in the quantity you need could easily cost $10,000.00 for a good product don't you think.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

Just got a quote for 1- 4x8' sheet of EPS 5 1/2" thick is $37. So $1850 plus tax. So roughly $5400 for material.

Comment

I think the osb and the 1/4" mahogany luan need to be fully coated in glue to get maximum strength

Comment

Originally posted by staker View Post
                      I think the osb and the 1/4" mahogany luan need to be fully coated in glue to get maximum strength
                      if the panels are not being used for structural purposes do they need to have the "maximum strength "?

Comment

That's pretty good price for EPS. My only caution for you is to check the R value of the product they quoted you. If It's high enough for your application it sounds like a damn good deal.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tronmega View Post

if the panels are not being used for structural purposes do they need to have the "maximum strength "?
                          Maybe not but you need more glue coverage than that.

Google instructions for installing tub surrounds, usually wavy lines no more than 8” apart & a line around the perimeter.
                          Better safe than sorry, hate to see the things delaminate over time.

Nathan
                          Last edited by nnieman; 09-05-2018, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I assume you are going to apply your exterior(siding?) to the osb. If this is the case, then use lots of glue!!! Nothing like having a panel delaminate and watching your siding bowing out in 3-5 years.

Simon

Comment

Also in line with Nathan's wiggly lines you have to have an escape route for the air or you wont have a nice flat surface and less glue contact. FWIW John

Comment

Working...
                              X