• Show
Clear All

Re: DIY insulated panels

have you looked at DIY foamcrete

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

http://structuralinsulatedpanels.com...-blog-toronto/

I looked at these guys and liked the concept - they were not tested and approved for the area that I was building in so I chose a different option

Comment

You absolutely need more coverage just to keep the thing from falling apart. It would be best to buy the glue in buckets & apply it with a notched trowel. As Rusty suggested, build an accurate, robust form that will hold all the components in perfect alignment to avoid having to square up the panels after.

Comment

speaking from 40 years of experience in all aspects of carpentry, i wouldnt bother with the stessed skin panels. imho i think they are overrated and too expensive and a royal pain to wire or do any plumbing venting with. also any siding is just held with the osb and thats fine for screws but not hardi plank or similar.
          years ago we did the outside of a very nice timberframe in the Bragg Creek area and we prefabbed 2x4 wall with drywall and then set them in place on a ledge on the foundation. then sparky came along and wired it, plumbers ran vents for sinks where necessary, we insulated with fibreglas,then 2" sm and 1x4 strapping horizontally, then board and batten siding. worked great, energy efficient and doable for the mech trades.
          remember if the trades dont like a particular sytstem or they are outside of comfort zonem they generally will charge more and skip steps.
          you didnt say what the siding would be but this miight work out for you. thx dk

Comment

Working...
          X