• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tronmega
    started a topic DIY insulated panels

DIY insulated panels

Hey everyone,
    Just here looking for information/experiences. I have moved a timberframe barn on to a proper concrete foundation. The frame is structurally sound and in looking to insulate the outside with possible a diy insulated panels. I plan on sourceing 5 1/2" eps and sandwiching it between 7/16 OSB and 3/16" mahogany luan. I've done some research and plan on making 4x8 panels by using pl 300 glue and gluing the OSB and luan to the eps then applying pressure by placing a stack of OSB on top of the panel with a forklift. Has anyone tried something like this? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• dennisk
    replied
    speaking from 40 years of experience in all aspects of carpentry, i wouldnt bother with the stessed skin panels. imho i think they are overrated and too expensive and a royal pain to wire or do any plumbing venting with. also any siding is just held with the osb and thats fine for screws but not hardi plank or similar.
    years ago we did the outside of a very nice timberframe in the Bragg Creek area and we prefabbed 2x4 wall with drywall and then set them in place on a ledge on the foundation. then sparky came along and wired it, plumbers ran vents for sinks where necessary, we insulated with fibreglas,then 2" sm and 1x4 strapping horizontally, then board and batten siding. worked great, energy efficient and doable for the mech trades.
    remember if the trades dont like a particular sytstem or they are outside of comfort zonem they generally will charge more and skip steps.
    you didnt say what the siding would be but this miight work out for you. thx dk

Leave a comment:

• drzaius
    replied
    You absolutely need more coverage just to keep the thing from falling apart. It would be best to buy the glue in buckets & apply it with a notched trowel. As Rusty suggested, build an accurate, robust form that will hold all the components in perfect alignment to avoid having to square up the panels after.

Leave a comment:

• cosmo52
    replied
    http://structuralinsulatedpanels.com...-blog-toronto/

I looked at these guys and liked the concept - they were not tested and approved for the area that I was building in so I chose a different option

Leave a comment:

• Cowtown_eric
    replied
    have you looked at DIY foamcrete

Leave a comment:

• jleroy
    replied
    Also in line with Nathan's wiggly lines you have to have an escape route for the air or you wont have a nice flat surface and less glue contact. FWIW John

Leave a comment:

• Thorel Woodworking
    replied
    I assume you are going to apply your exterior(siding?) to the osb. If this is the case, then use lots of glue!!! Nothing like having a panel delaminate and watching your siding bowing out in 3-5 years.

Simon

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Originally posted by Tronmega View Post

if the panels are not being used for structural purposes do they need to have the "maximum strength "?
    Maybe not but you need more glue coverage than that.

Google instructions for installing tub surrounds, usually wavy lines no more than 8” apart & a line around the perimeter.
    Better safe than sorry, hate to see the things delaminate over time.

Nathan
    Last edited by nnieman; 09-05-2018, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    That's pretty good price for EPS. My only caution for you is to check the R value of the product they quoted you. If It's high enough for your application it sounds like a damn good deal.

Leave a comment:

• Tronmega
    replied
    Originally posted by staker View Post
    I think the osb and the 1/4" mahogany luan need to be fully coated in glue to get maximum strength
    if the panels are not being used for structural purposes do they need to have the "maximum strength "?

Leave a comment:

• staker
    replied
    I think the osb and the 1/4" mahogany luan need to be fully coated in glue to get maximum strength

Leave a comment:

• Tronmega
    replied
    Just got a quote for 1- 4x8' sheet of EPS 5 1/2" thick is $37. So $1850 plus tax. So roughly $5400 for material.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Originally posted by Tronmega View Post
    hey guys thanks for the feed back.
    The barn needs 50- 4x8 panels... lol seems alittle crazy now that I say it ha, but definitely doable. I priced for sips panels with mahogany on the inside and osb on the outside of the panel and it was $15000. that's around 7.5 you 8 dollars a square ft. The materials for the DIY panels should be around 3500 plus the EPS ( have not locked down a price yet). So depending on the EPS price and labour it might be worth it. I have found out that it would be
    Thats a pretty good price for panels. EPS in the quantity you need could easily cost $10,000.00 for a good product don't you think.

Leave a comment:

• Tronmega
    replied
    ....I have found out that it would be pretty hard to make all the panels square and accurate, at least with using full 4x8sheets there will be no cutting. on a smaller scale I think if would be a good idea. I think I might just look into sprayfoam though. my mock up panel worked pretty well though here's some pics.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Tronmega
    replied
    hey guys thanks for the feed back.
    The barn needs 50- 4x8 panels... lol seems alittle crazy now that I say it ha, but definitely doable. I priced for sips panels with mahogany on the inside and osb on the outside of the panel and it was $15000. that's around 7.5 you 8 dollars a square ft. The materials for the DIY panels should be around 3500 plus the EPS ( have not locked down a price yet). So depending on the EPS price and labour it might be worth it. I have found out that it would be

Leave a comment:

Working...
X