Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Firewood Cutting Frame

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post

In 1991, one of my customers made his living (mostly) by cutting, splitting, drying and delivering firewood. I bought one bush cord (3 x 16" face cords) from him to have as a sideline in my shop (small bundles $10). I bought Beech, Maple, Oak, all split, and stacked to dry for at least two years. I paid $65/face cord. Based on values for Canadian inflation from a couple of websites, that $65 converts to about $110 today ... that's just keeping pace with inflation. I think the market rate in Ottawa now (where I was then) is about $125 to $140, so considering that fuel products increased more than inflation, and firewood being a job that uses lots of fuel products ... I'd say the current price is not far off the mark from almost 30 years ago.
    John,

Very good point.

I guess everything seems expensive when your wage hasn't kept up with inflation.
    http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

So here are some more pictures of my firewood and property maintenance activity. When I had my blog I always posted lots of pictures. I have found that people doubt alot of written communication, because of alot of anonymous users playing the part, rather than actually participating in what they claim. Posting lots of pictures has become a habit. I haven't seen any restrictions here, but if I am overdoing it, I hope a moderator will let me know.

Last year we had a few very high windstorms I lost a few trees. The storms are here again so they will be downing a few more soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Down Tree 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	273.6 KB ID:	1249904Click image for larger version  Name:	Down Tree 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	217.0 KB ID:	1249905

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_132576.jpg Views:	3 Size:	268.2 KB ID:	1249906

My old yard truck all loaded up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_132577.jpg Views:	3 Size:	146.0 KB ID:	1249907

Here is my wood pile. I try (a little low right now) to keep two years worth in the pile. With the two years worth in the bays that means my wood drys for 3-4 years before it gets burned. This results in very little creasote build-up in the chimney. Creasote is a fire hazard.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_132578.jpg Views:	3 Size:	254.7 KB ID:	1249908

Since I do not have to split alot of large wood, getting a big gas powered wood splitter would have been way over kill. Much of the wood I burn does not have to be split at alll. I decided long ago to go with one of the electric imports at Princess Auto, others like Can Tire and Home Hardware carry them now. These are low to the ground and a pain on the back to use. There is an optional stand, but I didn't like them, they are light duty and not mobile. I decided to build my own, for $10 I got the surplus wheels from Princess and bolted an angle iron frame together and bolted the frame to the underside of the splitter to completed it. Mobile, solid, and perfect height for splitting.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Splitter.JPG Views:	0 Size:	130.1 KB ID:	1249909
      Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 09-05-2019, 02:25 PM.
      beachburl likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
        Posting lots of pictures has become a habit. I haven't seen any restrictions here, but if I am overdoing it, I hope a moderator will let me know.
        Carlos,

Just to be absolutely clear about pictures and the number of pictures etc .... we like pictures. The more the better.

I hope that's clear enough

cheers

Comment

Thanks John.......You might be sorry you said that, I'm joking

Comment

Working...
          X