Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pascal Metals Valley Sawmills - Anyone own One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pascal Metals Valley Sawmills - Anyone own One?

I'm researching sawmills. From the pictures and feature list, these appear to be built better than their competitors.

Anyone have experience with a mill from Pascal Metals?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Pascal Metals Valley Sawmills - Anyone own One?

I'm not sure about "better built". I'm not saying they aren't, but there's a difference "better built and "more features". I own a Gilbert built mill, known as a Champion. Mine has few of the "features" that are advertised on the Pascal mills, and cost more twelve years ago than the Pascal mills sell for today. However, after several tens of thousands of board feet over those twelve years (not worked too hard as a hobby mill), I have yet to do any actual repairs, the maintenance has been regular and minimal, and the first actual alignment I have had to do was this week and even that was pretty straightforward. I think the best way to decide is to go and look at them, and when you go, take with you a well thought out idea of what your objectives are and what your needs and wants are. Note: "needs" and "wants" are not the same.... "Auto-this" and "auto that" may sound nice, but sometimes they get in the way of what you need. This week I cut a trailer load of cedar for a guy who is building a cedar lined ice fishing hut. He wanted it all rough at 5/8". Does the auto-set on the Pascal mill accommodate unusual board thicknesses? That's the sort of odd request you'll run into.

Anyway ... I'm not dissing this brand. I'd never heard of it before you posted. All I am saying is that sometimes fewer features is not a bad thing and that more features doesn't necessarily mean "better quality".

cheers, good luck !!
    iamtooler likes this.

Comment

Thanks, John. I'll take a close look at all makes before I decide.

Here's a video on Pascals Big Red https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xIj2P57F8

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by John Bartley View Post
          I'm not sure about "better built". I'm not saying they aren't, but there's a difference "better built and "more features". I own a Gilbert built mill, known as a Champion. Mine has few of the "features" that are advertised on the Pascal mills, and cost more twelve years ago than the Pascal mills sell for today. However, after several tens of thousands of board feet over those twelve years (not worked too hard as a hobby mill), I have yet to do any actual repairs, the maintenance has been regular and minimal, and the first actual alignment I have had to do was this week and even that was pretty straightforward. I think the best way to decide is to go and look at them, and when you go, take with you a well thought out idea of what your objectives are and what your needs and wants are. Note: "needs" and "wants" are not the same.... "Auto-this" and "auto that" may sound nice, but sometimes they get in the way of what you need. This week I cut a trailer load of cedar for a guy who is building a cedar lined ice fishing hut. He wanted it all rough at 5/8". Does the auto-set on the Pascal mill accommodate unusual board thicknesses? That's the sort of odd request you'll run into.

Anyway ... I'm not dissing this brand. I'd never heard of it before you posted. All I am saying is that sometimes fewer features is not a bad thing and that more features doesn't necessarily mean "better quality".

cheers, good luck !!
          John, can your mill cut maple easily and what is the HP.

I visited Woodmiser to look at LX55. Its a new model so non in stock, but guy said he saw it in operation at a show and it had a real hard time cutting maple. It's 9.5 HP.. maybe 14hp is a minimum requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by NeverEnoughMusic View Post

John, can your mill cut maple easily and what is the HP.

I visited Woodmiser to look at LX55. Its a new model so non in stock, but guy said he saw it in operation at a show and it had a real hard time cutting maple. It's 9.5 HP.. maybe 14hp is a minimum requirement.
            My mill is powered by a Kohler Command V-twin, 25hp carburetted gasoline motor. The log max is 29" diameter and it's max board width is about 22". I have cut Maple, Elm and White Oak atj full capacity with no trouble. I also ran a friend's 13hp Honda powered mill, cutting 12" -18" diameter Red Oak. It also had no issues. The real factor is how well you sharpen your bands and how long you run them. The lower the HP, the shorter the run time between sharpenings. One of the old sayings that really applies is "there's no substitute for HP". You can always use less of what you have, but you can't use more if it's not there.....
            Last edited by John Bartley; 11-14-2019, 08:03 PM.
            smallerstick likes this.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks John. More to ponder!

Comment

I’ve run both Norwood’s largest mill (at least at the time it was) and a mid-level Woodmizer mill. I used the Norwood pretty extensively, sawed around 67,000 board feet with it. I think the Norwood was a 25HP V-twin Honda. Both companies make good mills, but the woodmizer bunks are a little stronger. I would think something in the 12 - 15hp would run a 1 1/4” blade fine.
                VIDEOS: www.youtube.com/AWoodworkersLife

Comment

Working...
                X