• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your s***tiest tool

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
    My worst tool is this:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=46J8370

Click image for larger version  Name:	46J8370-drill-guide-f-01-r.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.4 KB ID:	1325312

It has so much run out that it would actually work better for tracing large-diameter circles than for drilling. Never got around to returning it; it sits on a shelf at face-level, so I curse it every time I go in the shop; been doing that for the last four or five years.
    I have a similar model I bought maybe 25 years ago and it works great, not fine carpentry but gets a squared hole on a job site. Then again I find a lot of the non vertagris tools have really gone downhill at Lee Valley.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    CARPENTER noun. (car-pun-ter)
    1) A person who solves problems you can't.
    2) One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data, provided by those of questionable knowledge. see also: wizard, magician.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Any cutting tool that will not hold an edge no matter how soft the material is your cutting with it. I had to knock out the core out of a small electric motor. The windings to get the copper out of it. Took the edge right off the cold chisel I used. Threw it right in the scrap bucket. Gabage.
      https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

the "cold heat" is an oxymoron ;-) what happened when you tried it?

I have one of those little hand torches you fill with butane. I seldom use the thing but thought it would be ok to solder a wire when I didn't feel like getting an extension cord. the only issue is it leaks it's fuel by the next time I try it.

Princess auto just had the fuel on for about 3 bucks a can, so I bought a few cans thinking I would give it another go.

It made me think of another useless tool. Im not even sure they make it anymore but it was like this:
        https://www.bernzomatic.com/Products...ition/WK5500OX

except instead of an oxygen cylinder it came with a metal tube with a plug and these things that you start burning , then you put the thing in the tube and somehow that made oxygen to feed the torch.

It even came with aluminum rod, good luck controlling the heat to do that ;-) when you got the stick burning and making oxygen then you had a race against time to get the torch working right for you in time to do anything productive before it ran out. I think I still have a couple of the things. burning those sticks to make oxygen was a weird idea but I guess as a toy it was fun and maybe I learned a little messing with it as a kid.

I like the newer propane torch tips that light when you pull the trigger, no more looking for the striker. - Slick!
        Last edited by stickman; 04-07-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

If you want to know how you burn something to make oxygen, check out this link:

https://youtu.be/g3Ud6mHdhlQ

Destin from “Smarter Every Day” Gets to go on a nuclear submarine and ask questions, (well not all the questions…) But he does find out how they make oxygen by burning.

Comment

My worst tool is located at the top of my neck, below my hat.

Comment

Bought a no-name brad gun for $35. Didn't expect much but as soon as I hooked it up to the compressor the entire front end exploded. Didn't even shoot a nail.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have a electric jack hammer that is designed to operate on 220. Its very old, maybe 20's or 30's . on the power cord it has a thing that looks like a small heater. sort of a resistor. I've seen those things used on old radios to stabilize the power I guess. Maybe it removes the pulse from the grid to prevent radio interference ? Its basically a giant electromagnet. So far I haven't had the courage to plug it in.

I have a few of those old style liquid fueled torches. maybe alcohol or white gas ?

you have to put some in the little dish under the nozzle and light it to heat up the torch head. Definitely an outside toy ;-)

I think the manually operated thatch rake should be up the in the list of useless tools. i have one that I will pull out and try for like 5 minutes then Ill say to myself "put that thing away It's just going to give you a backache"

.. the little spring things on the lawnmower work well , even my electric mower.
                Last edited by stickman; 04-14-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                  .....I have a few of those old style liquid fueled torches. maybe alcohol or white gas ?

you have to put some in the little dish under the nozzle and light it to heat up the torch head. Definitely an outside toy ;-)
                  I have looked for an old blow-torch for years since no one seems to know where Dad's went after he passed away. In Britain they are called paraffin blow lamps but the best fuel for most Canadian made ones was naptha gas. Not really much of a fire hazard really since they are very difficult to knock over and were usually used to heat a soldering iron (copper).

I second your nomination for the thatch rake! Damned near useless IMO anyway.

Ken

Comment

The old style torches aren't that hard to come by , I think I have 3 of them. Every antique store seems to have one around. They are kind of neat to look at but compared to a propane torch they just dont seem that useful in a practical sense. I'd still like to try lighting the ones I have just for the fun of it. some of them have a little loop thing to put a soldering iron in to heat it. I have an old catalogue from the 30's with advertising and it has some detail on the particular features of each. I've seen some doing "steampunk" things like using them as bases for lamps but I dont really like to encourage causing damage to antiques that are intact.
                    KenL likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X