Finishing cut tools and techniques for the inside of a bowl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing cut tools and techniques for the inside of a bowl

Can you guys share your favourite tricks for finishing cuts for the inside of the bowls? For the inside surfaces, what do you do to remove the tool marks and prepare for sanding?

On the outside, I can scrape and sheer scrape with the fingernail-ground bowl gouge, which works very well for me.

I have tried the "bottom feeder" grind (70 degree straight grind) for a bowl gouge recently, I found that, for the bottom, it, indeed, works better for the final cuts than fingernail grind. And I use a round nose scraper for the walls.

However, the bottom feeder and the scraper don't give me quite as good results as what I get on the outside surfaces with the regular bowl gouge scraping techniques.
    Also, I struggle with the transition from the inside wall to the bottom, it's the hardest area for me.

Thanks!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Finishing cut tools and techniques for the inside of a bowl

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...33,43164,43167

Something like this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	58b0610s1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.8 KB ID:	1137607
    EDIT: Oops. Saw that you already use a scraper. My bad.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

Have you tried lessons?
      beachburl likes this.

Comment

Join one of the woodturning guilds nearby - Toronto, and Golden Horseshoe especially - and you can get one-on-one instruction.
        I normally use my Ellsworth, and 'ride the bevel', but I also sometimes use this http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...330,49233&ap=1

Noel
        "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "
        John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Tool positioning can be important, and hands-on help can help learn some of that.

On your bowl gouge, grind away a bit of the heal so that it is rounded and you will not have as many burnishing marks in the lower corner of the bowls. If you use a scrape, with some practice, raise it on its edge to about 40 degrees or so and lightly shear scrap the area. Make sure you control the contract area of the tool or it can bight back.

Of if you have a Hercules or Osprey tool with the hunter cutter, those also seem to be very capable in that lower corner once raise on their edge and you can rub the bevel and slice right around the corner.

Comment

I normally use the tip of my fingernail grind to get a somewhat shear scrape. But I've started to play with the Ellsworth bevel rub cut. Think my grind is too steep and a little too aggressive so I'm not getting the smoothest of cuts. Cuts clean though.

Comment

When you use the scraper inside the bowl, are you just scraping, or do you tilt it up on edge and gently shear scrape?

Comment

i use a steep ground bowl gouge to turn then finish with a heavy sectioned scraper, well supported, no extra burr ( just ground upside down on grinder tool rest) . I use a very light shearing cut. You may have trouble with some woods anyway spalted etc.For green work I often use an Exocet. Taking very light cuts always for a fine finish

Comment

I too like to use a scraper. I use it tilted to shear scrape as described by Lloyd.
                  Take off the sharp bottom corners of the scraper to make it less catchy on the tool rest. Don't have to take off too much. Just round the corner a bit.

Comment

Listen to advice, try all suggestions and practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more.

BTW, do you have any pictures of your work? Form is a factor, and all advice might not apply to the form you make.
                    Last edited by Art in Prince George; 09-13-2017, 09:08 PM.
                    beachburl likes this.

Comment

the spalted material you show is probably the hardest to get a smooth cut, either inside or out. it is quite variable in hardness and mini grabs are common. Maybe your problem is not tools?

Comment

At about 9:30 in this video Raffan shows shear scraping on the outside of a bowl (you have to look closely to see the way it is tilted up on edge slightly) as a finish cut. A round-nose or swept-back scraper can be used the same way inside a bowl.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIvROyV2n6w

Comment

You got some good advise already here Arcady on how to improve the rather sharp transition, not easy to do.

I’m more in thinking that it is easier if we prevent getting to that problem in the first place by turning a different shape.

So rather than using a shape like this one here, Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Mujberry.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	1137898

Turning shapes like these here keep you away from this problem, and in time you’ll get better at cutting and working around the problems that crop up, turning isn’t as easy as it sometimes looks like, t does take a lot of practice and experience, just keep on keeping on, practice practice practice and then some more practice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Apple.jpg
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1137899Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Apple 1.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	1137900Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Manitoba Maple.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1137901Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Maniyoba Maple 1.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1137902Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Black Cherry.jpg
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	1137903Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Black Cherry 1.jpg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1137904Click image for larger version

Name:	Shape Black Walnut.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1137905

Have fun and take care
                          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

... wonder where he got his self to?

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for suggestions. I may have overstated my problem a bit, it's not like I'm having major problems, it's just that I find finish-cutting the inside noticeably harder than the outside. When I use a scraper, sometimes it bites a bit too much into the surface, ending up creating more problems. I just got a couple of scrapers, will be playing with them in the near future.

Originally posted by Lloyd in Mississauga View Post
                              If you use a scrape, with some practice, raise it on its edge to about 40 degrees or so and lightly shear scrap the area.
                              I haven't tried making a sheer cut with a scraper, going to try this next time, thanks.

Originally posted by Art in Prince George View Post
                              BTW, do you have any pictures of your work? Form is a factor, and all advice might not apply to the form you make.
                              Some pictures here: https://goo.gl/photos/aK32NGzjyjsMrXVr7

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
                              I’m more in thinking that it is easier if we prevent getting to that problem in the first place by turning a different shape.
                              Yes, shallower bowls are easier to deal with. I enjoy experimenting with different shapes, and often turn conical or flower-shaped (there must be a technical term for this shape) bowls.

Comment

Working...
                              X