Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old Rockwell lathe (previously beaver gap lathe vs shopsmith)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old Rockwell lathe (previously beaver gap lathe vs shopsmith)

Originally posted by dwight80 View Post
    So whats considered a steal on a beaver 3400?
    ive seen them for as little as 100 bucks! but it wont come with much

one thing to consider is that the "gap" in the bed is useless once you add a chuck!!
    dwight80 likes this.
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by stevem View Post
      ive seen them for as little as 100 bucks! but it wont come with much
      They are cheap and plentiful, and probably better built than cheap Asian entry level lathes costing twice as much. On Toronto Kijiji there are 12 Beaver 3400 listed currently, you can count on the availability.

Comment

I was wondering if any of the older lathes like the delta 1460 allow for using a vacuum chuck?

Comment

The 1460 has a hollow headstock spindle so it can be adapted for vacuum chucking.
          I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
          Bob
          Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

thank you Bob I will look for a lathe with a hollow headstock spindle. thanks again

Comment

Just to be a bit picky on the wording, you the hollow spindle should be a Morse taper hollow. Half of the process of woodturning often is how to hold something and any lathe that doesn't have a Morse taper headstock can be limited. This is my beef with the Beavers unless you are like our friend Stevem who has a big box of spare parts of various vintages that have MTs. Ideally, the spindle end opposite the bed should be threaded which will allow threaded vacuum adapters or outboard turning. It isn't a showstopper for vacuum chucking if there is no thread because there are ways to seal an adapter but it can be more work.

billh

Comment

Thank you Bill H - I will look for a morris taper hollow spindle. the shopsmith is of course none of those. I owned a viel lathe for a while I think even that was better than the shopsmith it was very light duty though. the VS on the shopsmith is nice but even the slowest speed is pretty fast. for a variety of reasons I like to buy the old iron tools money not the least of the reasons so I will look at the older delta lathes maybe the 46- models also.

Comment

hi would a 46 200 be in the same ball park #2 morris taper?

Comment

thank you everyone for your help and advice I ended up buying a rockwell 46-200 for 175 needs a motor and stand and has nothing with it, the banjo and the post are there but no tool rest. I pick it up monday. based on the serial number looks like a mid 60s model,thanks again

Comment

congrats, thats a lot more lathe than a 3400!!

headstock spindle will be a 1 x 8 tpi and will have a morse taper #2. the tailstock is also a mt2

only down side is the 4 speed belt drive, like all spindle lathes of that era, its pretty fast for bowl work.

but there are solutions to that issue too!
                      my shop is a beaver lodge
                      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

thank you for the help the lathe was the same price and not having a motor may be an advantage as I can get a 3 phase and a vfd. I was not even thinking about a lathe until I missed that 260 then I could not stop looking for one I got the old iron bug bad.

Comment

All right as promised here are some pics of the rockwell - I found a craftsman lathe at the last minute and since I was driving by it decided to grab it for 75. it has a new motor on it and works great and I can temporarily use the stand and tool rests (i think ) along with the 4 pulleys off the motor. I thought I could use the motor but it ended up being 1/3 hp . I know the stand is light but it may work temporarily. the tool rests are 3/4" but the banjo seems to lock them down tight. The rockwell has a few issues. the tail stock does not move yet and the pulleys look a little wobbly. there is no play in the bearings but they are a little stiff to turn. should the spur drive spin easily? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 8ntractor View Post
                            the tail stock does not move yet and the pulleys look a little wobbly. there is no play in the bearings but they are a little stiff to turn. should the spur drive spin easily? thanks
                            Some tail ends do not spin. You need to put a bit of wax on the spur to prevent heat build up.
                            Chris
                            I only excel at fixing my my goof ups

Comment

Hi thank you I meant that the tail stock would not loosen up on the cast bed so I turned the lathe over and loosend the nuts and took it off. I was quite worried about the spindle because the pulley did not look right. the tool rest post was broken off !! that could not be good. When I counted the pulleys on the spindle there were only 3 and I counted them twice just to make sure.. I did get enough of the stand built to bolt the lathe to it and mount the motor and it spins fine. and looks ok the smallest pulley is broken up pretty bad. thats as far as I got today. the 4 pulley off of the craftsman lathe fit a 3/4 motor I took off another tool so I guess I have 3 1/2 speeds.

Comment

all cleaned up and making chips the sears tool rest is too tall

Comment

Working...
                                X