VFD drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFD drive

I want to put a 1 hp 240 v 3 ph motor on a King mini lathe, what type of VFD should I use, (constant torque, variable torque, sensorless etc), is there a particular brand, Teco, Delta,Hitachi ?

Thanks
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: VFD drive

I'm using this one to drive a 3HP motor on 240V (you can use the 1.5kW model for a 1HP motor). But I'm going to get lynched because it does not come with a CSA approval sticker.

Edit: It's cheap and it works and comes with a removable control panel, but it comes with a manual that was written by an alien and does not have a ground clamp (I improvised my own by clamping ground onto the heatsink).
    Last edited by agenkin; 04-15-2018, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Member jack Forsberg sells some, Ive got one on my shaper.
      Forward, reverse, knob for variable speed, detachable control plate - they’re excellent.

Ive also got one of the above mentioned, it works fine - if you want to learn a new language.
      It comes with a manual, written in English - by people that don’t speak it lol

Nathan
      mikeddd likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
        Ive also got one of the above mentioned, it works fine - if you want to learn a new language.
        It comes with a manual, written in English - by people that don’t speak it lol
        I agree about the manual, it is actually quite entertaining to read it and try to understand what the hell they meant. I'm pretty sure that it is a product of running some (presumably) Chinese through an automatic translator, and just pasting the result into the translation without any additional thought.

The manual is available online for the world to enjoy.
        nnieman likes this.

Comment

I don't know how much looking you have done, but I would worry more about finding a 1 HP 3 PH motor that would fit the lathe. Most of the variable speed systems that are on these import midi lathes are actually pulsed DC with custom motors. Just guessing. Dealers Electric in NY were popular years ago when a lot of people were upgrading old lathes.
          Mike
          www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau

Comment

The King Mega lathe that I have is driven by a under powered 1/2 hp ac motor, I have a balder 1 hp 3ph 250/480 V motor, it wont be a bolt on project but it can be done. There are many VFDs' out there , some better than others , taking the information of the drives mentioned I think I need a constant torque, sensor less drive 1 - 2 hp 240 1 ph to 480 3 ph. is what I'm looking for.

Thank You

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I think you want the cheapest drive you can find. Don't worry about the power, especially if you can drive it slower than the present motor at 60hz. Is this a direct drive lathe at present?
              Rob

Comment

Working...
              X