Birdseye Maple

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdseye Maple

What does the end grain of birdseye maple look like when turned? I would like to do some knobs but would like an idea of the outcome.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Birdseye Maple

It would look like the cut end of a board.
    John@Hamilton likes this.
    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Although a knob looks like a cut-off chunk of a turned cylinder, I think it is best that you orient the stock so the end of the knob as seen when mounted is face-grain.
      billh
      beachburl likes this.

Comment

It's for the stick shift in my car Maybe I'll do an insert for the not so nice top.
        Jerome
        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
        Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become beer.......but didn't....

Comment

If your knob is more like a ball then turning it in side grain orientation you can see he eyes, as in endgrain they will not show up, if the knob has a thin neck than your side grain will not be very strong as you know.

I have 2 pictures here that, first shows you how the eyes are orientated, grew in the tree’s log, I drew a red rectangle in there that would be the orientation of an endgrain piece in the wood, then the second shows the eyes showing in the board and the endgrain of it where there is nothing showing but maybe one line on the right end of the board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	logsketch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	1204128Click image for larger version

Name:	birdseye maple endgrain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1204129
          Andy in Niagara likes this.

Have fun and take care
          Leo Van Der Loo