Cookie jar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookie jar?

Just had a coworker inquire about a turned cookie jar.

Biggest question I have in mind would be what would I use for a finish, if any, on the inside?

thoughts?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cookie jar?

Salad bowl finish? Beeswax?

Comment

Was kind of thinking a wax. Oils might leave a smell for some time. I've used baking soda in a sugar bowl that I used polyurethane on to soak up the smell. Worked rather well.

Comment

if the cookies are good, they won't last long enough to take on any smell/flavour.
        if they do last that long... they may need the smell/flavour!

I remember my grandma's cookies jar, no finish that I could tell (@ 6ish yrs old)... but those cookies didn't last long!
        Last edited by beakie; 03-12-2019, 10:46 PM.
        Wally in Calgary and scroudt like this.
        [insert something witty here]

Comment

I suggest you NOT flock it.

Noel
          "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
          'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
          "
          John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
            I suggest you NOT flock it.

Noel
            LOL, darn. Wanted to keep those cookies cozy in there.

Comment

What about shellac? Alcohol leaves the film quite quickly.
              Over time, bare wood likely would pick up oils from the cookies and one could speculate there is a chance for it to go rancid after a long while but I don't know if that is a real risk.
              billh
              scroudt likes this.

Comment

I think a hard curing finish like high gloss polyurethane or polymerized tung oil. Let it cure until you can't smell anything, as much as a month, and you're good to go. IMHO
                I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
                Bob
                Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

Also, make the top opening wide enough. Nothing worse than getting your hand caught in the cookie jar!
                  scroudt likes this.
                  Happiness is a new blade!

Comment

I would use pure beeswax, if you can spin it fairly fast, rub the wax block over the wood, then use a cotton rag to pressure against the waxed wood, hard enough that it will melt, any wax that can be absorbed by the wood will, and the rest goes into the rag.

I’ve used this and still do at times, it gives a nice finish and last for a long time.

The question that pops into my mind with making a wooden cookie jar is what about the warping you will get (I do expect that, endgrain not as much) with new batches of fresh cookies, oh just do it, you will find out if that is going to be a problem, just make the lid a loose fit, good luck, have fun.
                    scroudt likes this.

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
                      I would use pure beeswax, if you can spin it fairly fast, rub the wax block over the wood, then use a cotton rag to pressure against the waxed wood, hard enough that it will melt, any wax that can be absorbed by the wood will, and the rest goes into the rag.

I’ve used this and still do at times, it gives a nice finish and last for a long time.

The question that pops into my mind with making a wooden cookie jar is what about the warping you will get (I do expect that, endgrain not as much) with new batches of fresh cookies, oh just do it, you will find out if that is going to be a problem, just make the lid a loose fit, good luck, have fun.
                      Was thinking something end grain . Easier to get a good finish inside. Might to a simple segmented pieces using larger segments, nothing too extreme.

thinking I like the beeswax idea. I have some pure beeswax and I know how long other finishes can linger in containers.

Comment

Working...
                      X