New Technology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Technology

A student of mine showed up here with a copy of a Vers-grind jig he had made at our local public library.
    He downloaded the file and took it to the library where they printed it on a 3D printer. Total cost $18 and yes it works.
    Mmmm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but it seems to be the way of the world right now. Comments?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: New Technology

Sounds interesting, could you provide better details?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Vers...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

This one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4324.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	1233477
      https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1855586

Craig
      Attached Files

Comment

??? You can 3d print stuff like that?
        that's impressive!

Comment

Yes that's the one. I have to question why does a public library need a 3D printer in the first place and also the price charged when compared with commercial facilities doing similar #D printing services. The copyright monster is also invoked but that's another issue.

Comment

Interesting. Considering you don't really need to print the two knobs because many people would already have some, could be printed even cheaper, perhaps.

There is no reason for this jig to be made out of metal.

It's interesting whether any patent is violated by this. Unless one would start selling these jigs for profit, OneWay would probably not care, but I am not a lawyer.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I know there are different kinds of plastic you can print with some stronger than others end use dependent, my question is what do the rolls of plastic cost, I believe you also need different nozzles and that they can jam up so more expense, do you have to buy the program or are they free and will they stay that way, there is always a cost (no free lunch), is this another attempt to get us all to buy more toys then decide we can't live without them, and more junk in the land fills, so much e waste can't be recycled.
              It may be cheaper to buy the real thing, either way we keep people employed.

Comment

I made 2 of my own like that put if steel. Even made my own knobs using bolts and turned wood. First one didn't except my bigger 5/8" biel gouge so that's why I made a second.

Comment

Working...
                X