the "new" baby craftmaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the "new" baby craftmaster

finally a real canadian made pen lathe!!
    im looking for a pen mandrel, my big lathe has the lee valley mandrel but im considering mandrel/mandrel saver from william woodwright for the little one(mt 1)
    it uses a collet to hold the mandrel instead of a set screw.
    has anybody tried it? i assume its a asian made part from psi

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0206.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	1234146
    Attached Files
    my shop is a beaver lodge
    steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: the "new" baby craftmaster

Well done Steve, I hope the wood will stand up to the frequent tightening of the banjo and the tailstock, of course you can always remove the top part of the ways and use angle iron to replace the wood part.

For now you have a neat little lathe, have fun using it

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

thanks leo, i've already found a little cubby hole for it in the travel trailer
      have lathe and trailer, will travel!!
      since its primary purpose will be pens, i doubt that the tool rest or tailstock will ever move. i will need to find a shorter tool rest or cut the old one, a slightly longer post would be great though
      the 4 speed drive is around the same as the beaver, 800 to 3400 rpm, perfect for pens except for drilling blanks, i'd like to try it drilling but the headstock thread is weird, 3/4 by 8 tpi iirc. maybe a jacobs type chuck with mt1 would suffice but my blanks would have to be round

here's the original thread from years ago when i started turning, it and i have come a long way!!

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...new-to-turning
      Last edited by stevem; 04-21-2019, 02:39 PM.
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Steve - I have the PSI mandrel saver and have found it useful for not only pens but also sometimes when want to stabilize something like the tail piece finial of a Christmas ornament when finishing it off. Fits into the 1/4" hole quite nicely, either on its own or cushioned with a bit of tissue. Needless to say, works welll for what they sell it for too.
        stevem likes this.
        Mike
        www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Brazeau View Post
          Steve - I have the PSI mandrel saver and have found it useful for not only pens but also sometimes when want to stabilize something like the tail piece finial of a Christmas ornament when finishing it off. Fits into the 1/4" hole quite nicely, either on its own or cushioned with a bit of tissue. Needless to say, works welll for what they sell it for too.
          good to know mike, if i like it, i'll egt the mt2 version for my big lathe as well. it has the oneway live centre that i use as a "mandrel saver" already
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post

good to know mike, if i like it, i'll egt the mt2 version for my big lathe as well. it has the oneway live centre that i use as a "mandrel saver" already
            FWIW, I have same on my lathe as well. it works well and I am happy I spent the money.

--R
            Posted from my BBC Micro

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X