Silent auction value?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silent auction value?

I turned this walnut bowl and was wondering what a reasonable price it should be for a charity silent auction. It is just shy of 8" top diameter and 3 inches high. I was thinking $50 but really not sure ....any thoughts?
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Silent auction value?

Signing it would add to its value.
    redlee likes this.
    Bob just past Ayr

Comment

If you start low people are more likely to bid, it will also get your name out.
      • “The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes.”Winston Churchill

Comment

How does a silent auction work?

Comment

A silent auction is the selling of something of value, usually at an event like a play or a tournament. The item has a sign up sheet that starts at a certain value, say $20. Then as patrons visit the auction site they sign up for the starting value and add to it as a bid. So the first person my bid $20 and then the second person may sign up for $25 etc until the auction stops. the last winning bid get the item and the charity gets the money

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew from Barrie View Post
            A silent auction is the selling of something of value, usually at an event like a play or a tournament. The item has a sign up sheet that starts at a certain value, say $20. Then as patrons visit the auction site they sign up for the starting value and add to it as a bid. So the first person my bid $20 and then the second person may sign up for $25 etc until the auction stops. the last winning bid get the item and the charity gets the money
            No announcement of the high bid before awarding it?

Comment

I don’t know what people are willing to give to/for a charity auction, but to me your bowl is still pretty rough by my standards, yes I know that seems harsh, but as you are asking, a straightforward reply is best IMO.

Rather than disappoint or being disappointed with what you are presenting and maybe the $$ it will receive, better piece is also better for you and for the person that does get it.

I’m going to place your bowl and one of mine here, yours with arrows to what I consider less than satisfactory work/finish. I hope this is taken as it is meant to be.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I'm afraid I have to agree with Leo.
                The question is what you want your name to be associated with.
                You actually have an important decision to make.

Noel
                "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                "
                John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

Leo and Noel,
                  Thanks for your feedback. I still consider myself a novice turner and appreciate your candor and feedback. After many more attempts I'd really be happy with the quality you produce and this has certainly motivated me to do better. Where I agree with the roughness of the bottom and the poor finish/shaping on the top rim, the marks inside the bowl are actually colouring in the wood and not poorly turned or sanded bits. On the other side of the two strips is the bit of bark inclusion that I left thinking it was a nice rustic feature...

Leo, your comments were not harsh at all, and I find your work inspiring, I will get better and with your feedback sooner than later...this was my 9th bowl, and obviously I have some room to learn!

Comment

I was involved in a couple of charity events where the silent auction format was used. It's easily corrupted by restricting last minute bids, writing in of bids after closing, interference by staffers for their friends and family. There's got to be a better way.

Your bowl is super nice, by the way. 50 is a bargain.

Comment

I agree, your bowl is lovely. Kudos to you for donating it to a worthy cause.

Comment

OK I'll be a bit more specific. Leo is right you need to be a lot more aware of tool marks and tear out and learn to deal with them effectively. So first pic shows red arrows where there are definite tool marks. Second pic likewise but this time tear out. These can both be dealt with by using sharp tools and then power sanding through the grits. 220 grit is high enough then damp the surface with water and look for the telltale marks. If none then add 1 coat of finish after a light sanding to remove raised grain. Then check again! If marks show up then go back and sand again. Repeat as needed. There's no quick cure here. It takes good tool use and a patient and persistent refusal to overlook blemishes like these.
                        Overall nice shape and some good choices with regards to bark inclusions. Not to sure about the dark staining inside. It looks like the wood has been burned. But for bowl No 9 you are on the right track.
                        If you are putting it in the silent auction i would suggest $10 and see where it goes. Then you will be getting some idea of it's value to prospective buyers.

Comment

Working...
                        X