Lathe problems,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe problems,

Two very basic questions I should know the answer to but don’t even though I have had my lathe for15 yrs. It is a New Zealand made lathe. It has a large standard tail stock. Recently when I advance the quill with the wheel the key which sits in the slot in the tail stock keeps rising up and coming out when the quill is advanced. I have to hold it down with a screw driver or such to keep it in place. I cannot figure what has changed because it used to work smoothly. What am I doing wrong?.
    Second concern is less of a problem but when I put the Morse taper of my Jacobs chuck in the headstock it comes loose and will come out if I am not careful. I have cleaned the whole assembly without success. My steb centres have tapers and are solid. Stupid questions I know but I know there are lots of wise turners out there who can help. Thank you in advance! Wood doc.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Lathe problems,

pictures would help

Comment

a morse taper type of attachment in the headstock MUST be retained in the spindle with a draw bolt unless the tailstock is in use.
      the draw bolt is inserted from the outboard end and threads into the chuck mandrel.

the bolt doesnt need to be tight, just snugged up slightly. to loosen the morse taper, unscrew the drawbolt a couple of turns and tap it with a hammer

i made mine from a piece of steel rod

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0494[1].JPG
Views:	392
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	1255349Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495[1].JPG
Views:	385
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	1255350
      my shop is a beaver lodge
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by wood doc View Post
        Two very basic questions I should know the answer to but don’t even though I have had my lathe for15 yrs. It is a New Zealand made lathe. It has a large standard tail stock. Recently when I advance the quill with the wheel the key which sits in the slot in the tail stock keeps rising up and coming out when the quill is advanced. I have to hold it down with a screw driver or such to keep it in place. I cannot figure what has changed because it used to work smoothly. What am I doing wrong?.
        Second concern is less of a problem but when I put the Morse taper of my Jacobs chuck in the headstock it comes loose and will come out if I am not careful. I have cleaned the whole assembly without success. My steb centres have tapers and are solid. Stupid questions I know but I know there are lots of wise turners out there who can help. Thank you in advance! Wood doc.
        Bill you should take the key out and the hand wheel out, clean the groove where the key sits in, check that the key isn’t worn badly and isn’t able to keep the hand wheel in.

Lubricate the hand wheel and insert the key then tighten the setscrew to keep the key in place, I added this picture to help you with this problem, I think you do have the Nova lathe IIRC.

Name:	Nova 3000 tailstock.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	1255409

For any taper in the headstock spindle, that is not held in by pressure from the tailstock has to have a drawbar, to do this, the taper has to have a threaded opening and then a threaded rod can be screwed into the taper, a washer and nut is then used to pull the taper tight in the spindle, two pictures here, one showing the arbors that need the drawbar and those that do not, second is a easily installed drawbar that is hand tightened.

Name:	tapers with threaded holes.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1255410

Name:	drawbar and taper.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1255411

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Gentlemen,thank you for your sage advise! Steve I had never heard of a draw bolt but now I think of it I have never used the Jacobs chuck in the headstock,always in the tail.I will not do that again.
          Leo,thank you,I had an idea you would have the answer to my problem. I have seen your wise advice to others on many occasions. I greatly appreciate the detailed drawing which shows exactly what I am dealing with. I have taken the tailstock apart in the past and can easily do so again. I don’t remember seeing the little set screw so maybe it has been lost.I will check carefully.
          This is not the first time I have had a problem solved on this forum and IMHO one of the best reasons to belong to this great group. I think as many others that woodworkers are among the most collegial beings,always ready to help or share. Thank you! Wood doc.

Comment

i have used a jacobs chuck in my headstock, its great for very small turnings with a tenon on the end like a knob. but just for sanding and finishing. its too easy to crush the tenon with a drill chuck!
            steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

I have never used a draw bolt and I don't have a problem with it coming loose unless there's some sideways pressure, like when I use the Beall buffing and polishing system. In that case, all I do is hold a wooden block against the chuck and give it a couple good taps with a ball peen hammer. It never comes loose after that.

Comment

That is about the same as the person turning with very high speeds, nothing ever happened, like done it a thousand times, Then WHAM, feet first out of there.

A taper should not be hammered into the female opening, and when the taper is not held in with some pressure (normally from the
                tailstock) it should be held with a drawbar.

Of course you are your own boss, but don’t try to tell turners they don’t have to use a drawbar, I would not have it on my shoulders if someone got hurt because of my wrong advice
                KenL and Steve in Richmond like this.

Have fun and take care
                Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Leo, thanks to your excellent instruction I took my tail
                  stock apart today. I cleaned it oiled it and most important I removed the little set screw which I never knew was there. When I put it together I made sure the key was seated properly then tightened the set screw and everything works perfectly . I say again there is a storehouse of knowledge on this forum and I will never be shy about asking for help. Others should take note. Cheers Wood doc.
                  beachburl likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Art in Prince George View Post
                    I have never used a draw bolt and I don't have a problem with it coming loose unless there's some sideways pressure, like when I use the Beall buffing and polishing system. In that case, all I do is hold a wooden block against the chuck and give it a couple good taps with a ball peen hammer. It never comes loose after that.
                    That sure sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen. Tapers tend to move toward the big end not the small end. Be sure to wear your suit of armour when doing this.
                    I used to be fast.... now I'm half fast!

Comment

Originally posted by bhowson View Post

That sure sounds like an accident looking for a place to happen. Tapers tend to move toward the big end not the small end. Be sure to wear your suit of armour when doing this.
                      Nope. Perfectly safe, You don't turn big things with a Jacobs chuck. If it comes loose, all that can happen is it stops turning and maybe slips out and falls.

Comment

Nope. Perfectly safe, You don't turn big things with a Jacobs chuck. If it comes loose, all that can happen is it stops turning and maybe slips out and falls.
                        i also disagree, a jacobs chuck spinning at 1000 + rpm can become a lethal weapon in the right(wrong) circumstances. if nothing else the work piece or chuck could be damaged during the fall. I'll always use a drawbolt in those circumstances, it only takes a minute to put it in and i never tap in a morse taper fitting
                        steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

Comment

Don’t forget that small and thin turnings often get turned at 2000 or higher RPMs, 3 to 4000 is not uncommon, and as soon as it comes loose the piece will rotate off center and so off balance, and will be flung out , you'd better not be in the line of fire.

Have fun and take care
                          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

If it comes loose, all that can happen is it stops turning and maybe slips out and falls.
                            There is also a good chance of galling in your Morse taper.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed in Leaside View Post

There is also a good chance of galling in your Morse taper.
                              That would be a very slim chance. And that's about all the negative that can happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X