Updating General 160-2 with VFD & Larger motot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating General 160-2 with VFD & Larger motot

I need help in replacing my reeves drive with a new set up for the belts!!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Updating General 160-2 with VFD & Larger motot

Welcome to the forum! Is your reeves drive damaged beyond repair?

Comment

No, it is not damaged at all! I just wanted to have a digital system and reversible motor

Comment

Originally posted by Ace1942 View Post
        No, it is not damaged at all! I just wanted to have a digital system and reversible motor
        In that case leave the reeves drive, just change the motor for a 3 phase. You will not need more than one hp as you will have the low speed of the reeves instead of running the motor at 10hz.
        nnieman likes this.

Comment

if you just want to have reverse, add a reversing switch!
          my shop is a beaver lodge
          steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Right now, the lathe is 220V! How would I have a 3 phase system! How would I do that! I’m no electrician!! Would I need a VFD? If I leave the reeves drive, How would I change from one to the other? It would seem to me, that I should take out the reeves drive! Add a 220V VFD and a 1 1/2 or 2 hp reversible motor and add a reverse switch! The problem is the pulley system!!! In other words, replacing the reeves system with a motor pulley and spindle pulley!! I just don’t know how that would come together!!! The rebel turner on YouTube did that conversion on his old delta lathe, but his lathe didn’t have a reeves drive!!

Comment

Nothing to it. Get the frame size off he current motor's plate. Then buy a 3 phase motor with same frame so the pulley will transfer without any modification. Buy a suitable vfd, it will have all the controls built in to use your lathe right away. If you like you can add remote control stations for the vfd.

Comment

Yes, but how does the pulley system work? The reeves system works by each of the pulleys squeezes in and out to change the speed! Also what should the sizes of the pulleys be?

Comment

You simply change the motor, keep all the rest as is! Make sure to service the reeves centre pulley, General used a high quality system but it needs lubrication as per manual.

Comment

Yes what he said ^^^

Leave the reeves drive there, just change the motor.
                    If it’s not broke - dont fix it!

jgarrett forsberg
                    forum member jack sells vfds
                    They are fantastic
                    I have one on my 3 phase shaper.

Nathan
                    Last edited by nnieman; 11-01-2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Is this what you have ??

Click image for larger version  Name:	General 160 lathe.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.0 KB ID:	1257283

The pulley on the headstock spindle opens up wider or closes narrower when you change the speed with the handle on the front of the cabinet, here is the spindle and pulley.

Click image for larger version  Name:	General 160 spindle.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.7 KB ID:	1257284

This is the handle that opens and closes the reeves drive pulley, (you van only do this with the lathe spinning) by doing this the headstock spindle pulley is made to change, this way the belt does not change size, the reeves drive pulley is shown bellow, the reeves drive pulley is driven with the V-belt from the motor, so there are two (2) belts in use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	speed changer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.6 KB ID:	1257285Click image for larger version  Name:	variable speed pulley.jpg Views:	0 Size:	39.3 KB ID:	1257286

This here below is what you would change to a 3 PH motor with a VFD, that way you do have double speed control plus reverse if you want, HTH

Click image for larger version

Name:	General 160 motor.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	1257287
                      Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-01-2019, 12:19 PM.

Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Yes, I’m trying to replace the reeves system and put a 2hp motor and 2hp vfd! I don’t know what size pulleys to replace the expandable pulleys!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace1942 View Post
                          Yes, I’m trying to replace the reeves system and put a 2hp motor and 2hp vfd! I don’t know what size pulleys to replace the expandable pulleys!!
                          It doesn’t matter what size you use.
                          You get variable speed via the vfd.

You don’t have to replace the reeves pulleys, you can leave them and just switch out the motor.

Nathan

Comment

You will have a tough time getting a small enough 2 hp motor to fit. I do a lot of conversions and 1 hp is usually as large as can fit. Then just leave pulleys.
                            Last edited by wayjep; 11-02-2019, 09:27 AM.

Comment

So why do you want to remove the reeves drive ??, as you said it was fine, or what do want your lathe to do that you can not do now ??

See with the reeves drive you do have full power over the whole speed range, because as you change speed with the reeves drive from slow to fast, the motor does run at full speed.

When you use a VFD that is not the case, and so the lathes with VFD like Stubby and Oneway etc, use 3 speed pulleys to be able to go slow and fast and having enough power.

The 3 PH motors will loose a lot of their power (as do others) when you dial down their RPMs, so there fore they all use step pulleys to accommodate this problem.

You will not be able to go with just one speed v-belt pulley and then use a VFD to be able to go all the way from slow to fast, as you will not have the power where you need it, (at slow speeds you do need the power to turn and cut larger turnings)

However if you keep the reeves drive you already have and just change the motor to a 3 PH, you then add the VFD and will have the added speed regulation from the VFD plus the power where/when you need it, as you will be able to have the motor spin faster while still having the spindle turn slow.

All up to you now, but I would discourage you from removing the reeves drive and replace that with just one set of pulleys, you will not be happy guaranteed
                              Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-02-2019, 08:20 PM.

Have fun and take care
                              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                              X