Updating General 160-2 with VFD & Larger motot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Updating General 160-2 with VFD & Larger motot

FWIW a 1hp 3ph 240v motor is a 10$ item on the used market though as you need a specific frame number it might be trickier. A VFD would cost about twice what a drum switch will cost.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by billh View Post
      Don't forget that when the lathe is running in reverse that faceplates or chucks are running in the unthreading direction rather than tightening up. If the faceplate/chuck are put on reasonably tight, light sanding isn't likely to cause unthreading but there is a risk.

Often accessories, like Oneway's chucks and faceplates, have threaded holes for setscrews which lock against the spindle. Unfortunately, the General spindles do not have an unthreaded groove like Oneway lathes to receive the setscrew so tightening can damage the spindle threads. Turners with this problem often put a little piece of copper in the setscrew hole first so it acts as a cushion on the threads. Right now my General's threads are a little damaged but I'll just clean them up with a small file. I have often thought about grinding a bit of the thread down in the setscrew contact spots but haven't done it. Since my chucks are Oneway and I very rarely use the General's faceplate it isn't a problem since the Oneway chuck's threaded portion doesn't reach the damaged area.

billh
      i use the copper wire(short piece of 12 or 14 ga solid wire) regularly in my chucks and faceplates, works great!
      i turn and sand regularly in reverse as well as forward.
      reverse turning is great for the inside of a bowl and sanding in reverse(every other grit) is a nobrainer!
      my shop is a beaver lodge
      steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

When you say you use copper wire, what does that mean? Do you wrap it around the spindle first?

Comment

No, you put a 3/16'' long piece of preferably #6 bare copper wire down the hole then the set screw to mash it down into the thread.

Comment

Ok! Now I understand! I don’t have a nova reversible chuck to do that! I wonder if I could use non-permanent loctite threadlocker?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace1942 View Post
              Ok! Now I understand! I don’t have a nova reversible chuck to do that! I wonder if I could use non-permanent loctite threadlocker?
              You can drill a hole in the chucks adaptor and cut threads in it, like is shown here in the Oneway adaptor and the Nova one, after that you can take a piece of copper wire like shown and drop that in the hole then use a set screw to hold it on the spindle.

I would NOT use locktide or other to Glue the chuck onto the spindle, bad idea IMO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Oneway Chuck Adaptor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.0 KB ID:	1258934Click image for larger version  Name:	Nova adaptor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.5 KB ID:	1258935Click image for larger version  Name:	copper wire for setscrew.jpg Views:	0 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	1258936
              Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 11-17-2019, 10:20 PM.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks!!!!

Comment

the last picture that leo posted is my oneway chuck on my old craftmaster. the wire is just a little piece of 12 or 14 guage bent as shown.
                  in reality, it stays in the hole when removing the chuck, the same piece has been in there for months and i install and remove my chucks a lot

the oneway chucks use a tapered fit and two small locking screws to hold the adaptor to the the chuck. other chucks with threads between the adaptor and chuck body require locking there too
                  my shop is a beaver lodge
                  steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Yes Steve I used pictures that are on the net, rather than trying to duplicate every picture as with the chucks and adaptors and also the use of the small piece of copper wire to drop into the setscrew hole
                    stevem likes this.

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
                    X