GI 25-114 Variable Speed Maxi Lathe VF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI 25-114 Variable Speed Maxi Lathe VF

Recently the spindle direction switch has been acting up. Reverse and stop buttons work but the forward button often times turns the spindle direction to reverse. Sometimes pushing the forward button again quickly will stop the spindle then it goes forward. Most times forward just wants to go reverse. Have taken the cover off the control unit, gently blown compressed air to remove some dust and tightened the screws that hold the button plate onto the control unit. Still mainly wants to go reverse instead of forward. The small circuit board that the reverse/stop/forward buttons connect to had a little play so tightened one of the screws. Made no difference.

Do any members have the GI 25-114VF, experienced this issue and if so how did you resolve it short of buying a new lathe?

Thanks

Frank
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: GI 25-114 Variable Speed Maxi Lathe VF

Frank I suspect there is wood dust in the switch, I had some issues with my Midi lathe, took the air hose and blow it out, it worked again for a while, then it started acting up again, so I opened the switch and speed control box cover off and brushed everything with a small paint brush and then blow it all out with compressed air, has worked just fine since that time, oh better than a year at least, very likely have to do it again in the future,

So I would say see if you are able to clean the variable speed control and switch and blast some air through it all, can’t loose anything but some compressed air

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks Leo, will give the switch itself a cleaning. It just looks like 2 small nuts holding the switch to the control circuit. The manual troubleshooting section has nothing useful on the spindle direction switch problems. Are you aware of anyone still selling General or GI parts?

Comment

Frank I don’t know what exactly happened, but i think when General went out of business here, the Chinese GI was sold and they are still selling some equipment in the US, but don’t quote me on it, it is IIRC right .

So they might still make/sell/have parts, but I don’t know what or if.
        Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 12-07-2019, 10:18 PM.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Working...
        X