No announcement yet.

Advice on Lathe Purchase, Laguna REVO or Nova Saturn DVR Lathe or Oneway 1224

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on Lathe Purchase, Laguna REVO or Nova Saturn DVR Lathe or Oneway 1224

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    You do have a couple of good points there Bob, probably used scrapers, the thing that I wanted to point is, imagine that was a platter rather than the ring, how’d you get to the center of the platter with your tool ??.

So it isn’t where this lathe is placed, but the limiting of the lathe design itself, and yes you can turn smaller pieces outboard, it is the claim of how large a project you can turn that is overstated.

That is the reason I posted this picture, and again, want to turn large pieces, get a large lathe, as is said, you can turn small on a large lathe, but not turn large on a small lathe, or, swing doesn’t mean you can actually turn that size.
    Leo I'm not sure if I'm speaking without knowing my facts but here goes anyway, I'm too lazy to go out and check.
    And this is for others benefit who may be interested.
    Imagine if there was space all around the head stock and you set up the chuck 180degrees from the bed, with the right chuck and jaws it may push the work out past that outrigger arm then with the machine in reverse some work could be achieved, now I have said this I can see problems arising but also I can see that there are possibilities, I know I am leaving this in a cloudy space.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Advice on Lathe Purchase, Laguna REVO or Nova Saturn DVR Lathe or Oneway 1224

Originally posted by bkrits View Post

Leo I'm not sure if I'm speaking without knowing my facts but here goes anyway, I'm too lazy to go out and check.
      And this is for others benefit who may be interested.
      Imagine if there was space all around the head stock and you set up the chuck 180degrees from the bed, with the right chuck and jaws it may push the work out past that outrigger arm then with the machine in reverse some work could be achieved, now I have said this I can see problems arising but also I can see that there are possibilities, I know I am leaving this in a cloudy space.
      Bob that is exactly what I had to do when i was trying out the Record system. Then another problem came up the lock handle for the banjo was almost impossible to get to and the tool rest lock was hitting the work so tool rest had to be quite a way out from the wood all the time. There's no substitute for a decent outboard tool rest system that's independent of the lathe ways. A free standing one is not the answer either, so it means going to another manufacturer and possibly altering their product to fit yours. Not an impossible task but something to add to the check list when looking for a lathe

Comment

Originally posted by Roundhead View Post

Bob that is exactly what I had to do when i was trying out the Record system. Then another problem came up the lock handle for the banjo was almost impossible to get to and the tool rest lock was hitting the work so tool rest had to be quite a way out from the wood all the time. There's no substitute for a decent outboard tool rest system that's independent of the lathe ways. A free standing one is not the answer either, so it means going to another manufacturer and possibly altering their product to fit yours. Not an impossible task but something to add to the check list when looking for a lathe
        You make interesting comments Roundhead, I think its like all tools they have there limitations and sometimes we work within them and sometimes we stretch them.
        iamtooler likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Roundhead View Post

A free standing one is not the answer either, so it means going to another manufacturer and possibly altering their product to fit yours. Not an impossible task but something to add to the check list when looking for a lathe
          I have never worked with a free standing toolrest but all the big patternmaker's lathes had them. Have you used one? It seems to me that if you can keep the rest close to the face being turned it would be fine but too much overhang would want to kick the stand backwards.
          Rob

Comment

I used a homemade one with my old CTC lathe since the banjo/toolrest extension supplied with the lathe was not rigid enough for my liking. The standalone one was a piece of about 2" pipe with 3 legs welded on and a suitable holder for the toolrest. It worked but I didn't really like using it since it just didn't seem to feel secure.

Most of them, commercial or homebuilt, usually have an attachment method to secure the stand to the lathe and this can be a complication when it comes to making it adjustable for various depth of workpieces, i.e., platter vs deep bowls if you are making your own. Another option is to make it very heavy but this isn't ideal either.

billh

Comment

A free standing toolrest can be used outboard IF you use a scraper tool which is hold about horizontally, still not the safest way to turn outboard, but if you want to use a bowl gouge that is normally used on an upward angle you have then the toolrest being pushed toward the spinning turning, and especially with a catch this can be pretty dangerous.

To try to prevent this, turners have used large plates or wheels with the turning standing on them to prevent the toolrest from tilting forward, but it makes for difficult moving the toolrest around.
              PeterTZ likes this.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Only having experience with a toothpick lathe:

A steel framed lathe table with a nice heavy concrete top for the lathe to sit on should make a base for attaching all kind of adjustable sturdy tool rests. Say 3” schedule 80 pipe or 4 in. Tubing. Then. Use tubing that slides into each other for attachments for tool rests. Add some sturdy caster for moving around.
                A welder would have no problem building one.
                Egon
                from
                The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Here are a couple outboard toolrest stands that turners have made and used, first two are Vernon Leibrandt lathe and toolrest stand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vernon Leibrandt lathe.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1264969

Name:	Vernon Leibrant lathe & toolrest.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1264970
                  This setup is used by BB and Grizzly, it has you loosen and move the brackets and toolrest stand every time the toolrest has to change position change and tighten again.

Name:	Outboard toolrest Grizzly.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1264971

This one here is from Pete, used it for a while but did change it again for a different one.

Name:	outboard toolrest setup.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1264972

This is the one I build and use, it is very sturdy and the banjo with toolrest is easily moved, and changed.

Name:	Washer test on HD lathe.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1264973

If I ever would want to go for a larger turning, I could place blocks under the lathe, but for now it is able to shape some large pieces of wood.

Name:	Manitoba Maple root burl.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1264974
                  PeterTZ likes this.

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks for the memories Leo The big hassle with my idea was all the set screws that had to be tightened or loosened every time the tool rest needed to be moved closer to the work. Using it with the 3400 and a 1/2HP motor also limited the size but I did manage a 23" bowl. (Younger and more foolish is my excuse ) I very rarely turn anything bigger than 20" nowadays as people just don't want big bowls. I have plans in the works for a big wall hanging some time this year that will exceed the current outboard capacity on my Mustard Monster. I'll probably resort to a 2x8 and a bench on either side of the lathe to give me the right height to centre.
                    Cheers
                    Pete

Comment

Well I tossed the budget out the window. I just decided to not get another tool I had planned to upgrade/replace. That will wait.

I looked at Powermatic and VicMarc. The VM is a unique and amazing machine to be sure but with only one store selling them in the entire country, I decided not to go that route. Don't want to deal with US dealers or further away if parts are needed or service, should the only dealer stop selling VM's or close up shop.

After a ton of looking around, reading,watching videos, speaking to other turners, etc. I decided to get a Oneway 2436 with a 2513A outboard extension. That allows up to 48" diameter swing. Will add a 3300 riser block and a few other smaller parts. In total this will be close to 1000 lbs and the single most expensive expensive purchase I've ever considered.

Now it's just waiting for the close date on the new shop/property and then place the order.

Thanks everyone for the input. It will be several months but when the boxes arrive, I'll be sure to post another update. I bet it will be years before I can be anywhere close to using it to it's capabilities but looking forward to learning and working with it.
                      Erno52 and beachburl like this.
                      Learning something new every day.

Comment

Working...
                      X