Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tool fan
    replied

You won't have any trouble with torque with that arrangement and the KB electronics controllers are the best. Getting one for $75 is a steal! The motor must have come from an industrial treadmill from a 400 lb and over fitness club , its definitely a beast!

Leave a comment:

• DougLA
    replied
    My recent version of a retro fitted treadmill motor on my Craftmaster. A bit more expensive - 40 pounder DC motor for $50 on Kijiji and really nice KB Electronics DC control from Montreal for $75.00 on eBay. So far works great with test trials - roughing out 12" bowl blank and using a 3" Forstner bit.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/767624...7711215500638/
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7351.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	1268490

Name:	fullsizeoutput_975.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1268491

Name:	IMG_7350.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	1268492

Name:	fullsizeoutput_974.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	1268493

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    Nice work Al!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	928.9 KB
ID:	1267887 Here are a few pictures of the lathe with the electronics installed in the plastic box.as you can see,there is a extra switch,it's a double pole double throw that allows switching the polarity on the dc side,giving the lathe reverse.i am very pleased with the outcome.there may be a tachometer in its future. Click image for larger version

Views:	171
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1267885Click image for larger version

Views:	153
Size:	1,009.6 KB
ID:	1267886

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Roundhead View Post
    Where were you guys when I was running a 3400 and later on a Delta!!!!! Excellent conversion and using a DC motor will give better torque characteristics. It's only been in recent years the AC/VFD units have come down in price and now have improved torque. So is it too much to ask you guys to do a blow by blow account and post it in the Tutorials section?
    I know there's a lot of new turners who would love to get some good solid old iron and give it a new lease of life at a fraction of the cost of a Onway or Powermatic

Pete
    I can do this but it will not be for a few weeks as I am in Hawaii right now . If someone else wants to tackle Pete's suggestion be my guest.

Leave a comment:

• Roundhead
    replied
    Where were you guys when I was running a 3400 and later on a Delta!!!!! Excellent conversion and using a DC motor will give better torque characteristics. It's only been in recent years the AC/VFD units have come down in price and now have improved torque. So is it too much to ask you guys to do a blow by blow account and post it in the Tutorials section?
    I know there's a lot of new turners who would love to get some good solid old iron and give it a new lease of life at a fraction of the cost of a Onway or Powermatic

Pete

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    Originally posted by tool fan View Post

Sounds like you got it right. However, your pictures are not showing.
    Hi Al, I would be interested in the proper enclosure that you are buying. I usually just build a box to contain the wiring and mount the circuit board as you have under the lathe. Here's a couple of examples.

Leave a comment:

• Leo Van Der Loo
    replied
    Well done Al, happy turning

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied

Views:	150
Size:	839.1 KB
ID:	1266979Click image for larger version

Views:	157
Size:	721.3 KB
ID:	1266978Click image for larger version

Views:	162
Size:	980.4 KB
ID:	1266977 A second try at the pictures Click image for larger version

Views:	173
Size:	830.9 KB
ID:	1266976

Leave a comment:

• tool fan
    replied
    Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
    ​ It's alive.i salvaged the motor mount from the treadmill and mounted it on the lathe,worked very well,with the existing belt it's about 2/3 along the adjustment slots.temporarily mounted the electronics,I do have a proper enclosure coming,at $26 it's the single biggest expense in the conversion. It seams to have plenty of torque at very low speed,and runs quiet and smooth.i actually turned something!
    Sounds like you got it right. However, your pictures are not showing.

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    ​ It's alive.i salvaged the motor mount from the treadmill and mounted it on the lathe,worked very well,with the existing belt it's about 2/3 along the adjustment slots.temporarily mounted the electronics,I do have a proper enclosure coming,at $26 it's the single biggest expense in the conversion. It seams to have plenty of torque at very low speed,and runs quiet and smooth.i actually turned something!
    Last edited by al.m..; 01-19-2020, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
    Gee Tom,are you referring to speed control on the slippery slope,or rpm on the lathe,lol
    Well you can't control one... and you're assembly the parts to control the other... enjoy both!

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    Originally posted by beakie View Post
    The slippery slope has claimed another one!!

Enjoy the speed control. As a complete rookie, even I appreciate the usefullness and safety of being about to change RPMs with such ease.
    Gee Tom,are you referring to speed control on the slippery slope,or rpm on the lathe,lol

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    The slippery slope has claimed another one!!

Enjoy the speed control. As a complete rookie, even I appreciate the usefullness and safety of being about to change RPMs with such ease.

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied

Views:	166
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1266815Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	1266811Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	1266810 Went to my brothers shop and used his tiny metal lathe .his largest chuck,a 4 jaw,wouldn't quite grab the outside of the flywheel,so chucked it by the pulley surface and turned the major o.d. so it would fit the 4 jaw,skimmed the faces while it was set up.Then grabbed it by the fresh major o.d in the four jaw,indicated it to get it spinning concentric,and turned down the pulley surface.I then chucked the 2-1/2" pulley I had and bored it to a light push got on the surface I machined on the flywheel.may file a flat for the set screw,or drill a dimple.
    just need a box for the electronics to complete this project.
    so far,$2.50 for cast pulley at Cardon,aprox $12.00 (including shipping)for 10 ohm potentiometer from amazon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X