• Show
Clear All

• al.m..
    replied
    Tore down the treadmill,motor is 2.75 peak hp,1.5 hp continuos duty

Leave a comment:

• Frank English
    replied
    Check out this from Tool Fan [Rory] on using treadmill parts on a lathe. He could probably give you a good idea how long the components would last with use on your lathe.
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-46-wood-lathe

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    If have quickly discovered free treadmills in perfect working order are ten cents less than a dime a dozen,not much to lose

Leave a comment:

• billh
    replied
    The 3-phase motor and VFD is the better way to get variable speed but people have used treadmill motors. Scavenging a motor and controller from a junked treadmill is likely to be very inexpensive and this made them attractive when VFDs were much more expensive than they are now.

You have to be a bit leery of HP ratings if they are things like Peak or Treadmill rather than Continuous. Also, some motors run at high RPM which means reduction pulleys are essential but a pulley system may be a good idea for any motor to keep it in a good torque range. You need the controller board that powers the motor.

billh

Leave a comment:

• iamtooler
    replied
    It would have to be a very expensive treadmill that would yield a motor powerful enough to survive long service on a lathe especially if you want to turn bowls. If you don't mind scrounging used parts I suggest you go with a 2-3 hp 3 phase motor and a used vfd rather than old treadmills. You should still set up a jackshaft with large pulleys that will enable the motor to run fast enough to produce power and transmit it to the spindle.

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    No info/experience re:treadmill/DC motors...
    however I had a spare 3ph motor and picked up a VFD off Amazon for $100.

my Delta 1460 can now be dialed up/down to whatever RPM feels comfortable with the turn of a dial.

wiring was easy, setup was easy, and rpm changes are easy too.

I have a few 3ph machines/motors and am very happy with all of them.

BONUS, reverse is easy too.

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    started a topic Variable speed

Variable speed

so now that I am somewhat hooked,I been reading a lot,and it's a given that variable speed is adventagious .there are several examples on the web of people using treadmill components for variable speed conversions on tools.is this viable?
Working...
X