Steadyrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steadyrest

Castfe has a steady rest in the marketplace .it is missing the clamp pieces. Does anyone know if these are the same as on the banjo?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Steadyrest

Not worth buying. Old school no wheels, strictly for spindles and the contact area of the fingers just too big to be useful.
    Instead buy 3 of the polyurethane wheels from Lee Valley and build your own.

Comment

I got one from RedLee a few years back, also missing the steel plate hold down. Nothing special I assume as it is cast with a tongue that will fit between the ways it just needs to be held down. I have not used it yet but was glad to get it as it is rare.
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
        I got one from RedLee a few years back, also missing the steel plate hold down. Nothing special I assume as it is cast with a tongue that will fit between the ways it just needs to be held down. I have not used it yet but was glad to get it as it is rare.
        Rob
        I made one by simply copying the one I had for the tool rest. I used a piece of aluminum plate. It was dead easy. It was a little bit stickier than steel, but certainly functional.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
          Castfe has a steady rest in the marketplace .it is missing the clamp pieces. Does anyone know if these are the same as on the banjo?
          Oneway makes/sells clamp blocks to fit many lathes. Also carried by Lee Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed in Leaside View Post

Oneway makes/sells clamp blocks to fit many lathes. Also carried by Lee Valley.

Wow, that's even easier than making one and the price is right

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/turning-tools/101330-clamp-blocks-for-steady-rests-for-spindles-and-bowls

Comment

But to reiterate the delta steady rest protrudes between the bed ways unlike a banjo or the ''steady rests'' shown on LV page.

Comment

I built one a few years ago. Used it once.
                I'm not getting older, I'm getting worse.
                Bob
                Member Valley Woodturners

Comment

I build a steady rest from some ¾” birch plywood, 3 rollerblade wheels, some bolts and washers and screws and 2 large washers for under the ways to clamp the steady rest to the ways.

No plans or anything, I just made it from what I had in mind and should work, seen some pictures of some, metal and or wooden ones.

Here are some pictures that should be enough to build one for most wood workers I think..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steady rest.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1266141

The blocks are a snug fit between the ways, some wax makes them slide better.

Name:	Steady rest ways block.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1266142
                  The two blocks keep the steady rest square to the lathe axel (important to have the wheels run smoothly)

Name:	Steady rest ways block 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1266143
                  You can see the two layers of ¾” Baltic Birch that I used for the circle ( Baltic Birch left-overs from a corner shelve unit I build some 45 years ago out of it)

Name:	Steady rest side view.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1266144
                  The bottom part of a White Elm box I turned is sitting in the steady rest, as I wanted to do an inlay in the lid, and this way I could turn the recess in the lid and have it turn true without damaging the boxer lid, the live Oneway center cone is used here to have the box run true and set the wheels onto the box.

Name:	centering the steady rest.jpg
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1266145
                  Lidded Box done

Name:	Lidded box.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1266146Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackwood lid insert.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1266147
                  Beaverfever1988, KenL and tool fan like this.

Have fun and take care
                  Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
                    But to reiterate the delta steady rest protrudes between the bed ways unlike a banjo or the ''steady rests'' shown on LV page.
                    I must be missing something. If the OP is referring to this (below). It looks to be held in place with a bolt, washer and clamp block similar to the ones available at Lee Valley.

Comment

That Kind of steady rest does NOT need a clamp block that fits exactly between the ways, as the rest is not able to move about with the part of it fitting between the ways of the top part.

All it need s is a strong enough plate that can slide back and forth when the steady rest is moved along the ways and not hang up on any webs below the ways.
                      Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-14-2020, 06:33 PM.

Have fun and take care
                      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

The Oneway/LV one would work as long as the part that fits between the bed gap isn't so high that it interferes with the rest's part that fits in the gap.

For light duty use it is easy to build one out of a piece of 3/4 ply that fits across the gap (underneath) and a piece of about 1/4-1/2" ply that fits in the gap. Screw or nail the pieces together, drill a hole for a T-nut of the size you want in the centre. Size pieces so they don't intefere with any other parts of the lathe.
                        Edit: Seeing Leo's comment, you would only need the bottom piece of ply with the nut for that type fixture.

billh
                        Last edited by billh; 01-14-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by billh View Post
                          The Oneway/LV one would work as long as the part that fits between the bed gap isn't so high that it interferes with the rest's part that fits in the gap.
                          They are not too high. You'll want them to fit into the bed gap a tad so they wont spin when you tighten the bolt.

Comment

The Oneway Bowl and spindle steady have to be able to move for different size bowls or spindles, and so there has to be a fitting block under the ways to fasten the steadies to the bed ways as you can see here in the pictures.

Name:	Oneway bowl steady.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1266224Click image for larger version

Name:	Oneway spindle steady.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1266225

With the type of steady I showed in my previous reply, the part above the ways has to fit in the ways to have it sit square to the lathe axel both ways horizontally and vertically, and a block below the ways would not accomplice that.

Have fun and take care
                            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Last week i was working on turning three canes for our Golden Horseshoe Guild canes for veterans program. One of our members is also a member of the Burlington Woodcarvers and they make handles for turned portion. The blanks were red oak and I was really struggling with tearout and even almost catches with a large high quality 1 1/4" spindle roughing gouge. The second one got a bit better when I increased the speed to about 2000. I was using my Oneway bowl steady and a home made two wheel steady. Usually just damping out vibration is sufficient but the 35" length cause this to really whip under pressure. So Wednesday morning I called Oneway and I picked up the Spindle Steady Head only to go on the post. Totally solved the problem. The oak really needed the clamping pressure on the piece to truly steady it. With the Oneway Safe Cemter drive geometry matching the Live Center, I was able to just flip the blank without having to fuss with moving the Spindle Steady base. I took a picture of the Oneway Clamping Block while I had it off the lathe. It is 5/8" thick with a 3/16" x 1/4" rabbet. I have purchased smaller ones to use on an old Delta Midi lathe just for banjo and tailstock to improve the grip.

Name:	Spindle Steady_2.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	1267592

Name:	Oneway Clamp Block.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	1267591
                              Mike
                              www.picturetrail.com/mikebrazeau