Ash bowl and plate combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash bowl and plate combo

Just completed this combo which has grooves, 'mortises,' and 'tenons' to allow the pieces to connect together.
    It is ash, removed due to insect damage, from the boulevard.
    Both are from the same piece of wood.
    Antique oil, Wipe-on Poly, Beall buffed.
    Once the oil went on, I realized the figure was so strong, I didn't need the texturing.

(Don't know what this will show as.)

Am going to have to work on Photography (as I have been told in previous posts).

I'm not good enough to be a wood-turner who takes pics, or be a photographer who turns. I'll just be half-a**ed at both

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by beachburl; 02-13-2020, 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Beaverfever1988, Jeanie and 3 others like this.
    Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
    "

John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Ash bowl and plate combo

Looks good to me,may be a little less ash going into my wood stove next winter,I seem to be looking at the woodpile with a different perspective lately

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
      Just completed this combo which has grooves, 'mortises,' and 'tenons' to allow the pieces to connect together.
      It is ash, removed due to insect damage, from the boulevard.
      Both are from the same piece of wood.
      Antique oil, Wipe-on Poly, Beall buffed.
      Once the oil went on, I realized the figure was so strong, I didn't need the texturing.
      (Don't know what this will show as.)
      Am going to have to work on Photography (as I have been told in previous posts).
      I'm not good enough to be a wood-turner who takes pics, or be a photographer who turns. I'll just be half-a**ed at both
      Thanks for looking.
      Nicely done, does the bowls bottom have enough of a purchase to let you pick it off the platter?

Also, does my math was never much good, but wouldn't two halves make a whole?
      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Thanks Al. I was surprised, as there's a nice bit of flame on the lower outside, but not on the inside. It all depends on the orientation when turning.

Ya Tom, I put an easy to lift cove on the bottom. And thanks for the math lesson. Now I'm going to be looking for child labour in near-eastern Ontario again.
        Noel

"Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
        "

Comment

I like it Noel. I’ve turned Ash bowls and spindles.
          John
          If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

You did pretty good Noel

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

We have to make a lot of decisions when doing this kind of work, sometimes we don't know the questions until its too late, then there may be more than one right answer.
              So often its a case of settle for what you get and learn to be happy with what we do.
              Nice work Noel I do hope you had fun doing it.

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
                It is one of the first projects where I did not find anything disappointing.
                Noel

"

Comment

Working...
                X