wood fiier for mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood fiier for mahogany

i am working for the first time on a segmented piece out of mahogany and am finding very open grain. Can anyone recomend a good wood fiier for mahogany
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: wood fiier for mahogany

Hi Allan, I do the filling of open grain, like in Walnut with the Polymerized Tung Oil, it takes about 3 coats before the wood is filled, and it takes a couple of days to do that, I rub the oil into the grain and usually add some as the oil wicks into the grain, and then as it is wiped off, I’ll have to go back a couple of times to repeat it, as some oil will come and bleeds up/out as small drips, you’ll see it, if you don’t wipe it off, you will have to sand it off later when the oil is fully hardened, I rather wipe it of than have to sand it all again.

I would think that shellac should work, and that hardens right quick, and you can add any other finish over that, it certainly is not going to harm your wood/turning.

Do make some pictures and show/tell the what and how of it, it will help others that have the same questions.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 02-14-2020, 09:34 AM.

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Re: wood fiier for mahogany

Originally posted by akuntz View Post
      i am working for the first time on a segmented piece out of mahogany and am finding very open grain. Can anyone recomend a good wood fiier for mahogany
      Here's one if you want to try it. I tested it a few yrs. ago and it seemed to work very well. Never did use it on a project though.

Comment

Working...
      X