Rockwell-Beaver 3400 QR Toolrest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell-Beaver 3400 QR Toolrest

I have a 1960's Beaver 3400 apparently made shortly after the Rockwell acquisition that I am generally happy with but I have always been frustrated with how difficult it is to adjust the location of the toolrest, especially the height which has a short handle but needs to be tight to hold adequately. My other hobby is reviving old lugged steel bicycles and when the two worlds collided I was inspired. I removed the bolts for the height and position of the toolrest and replaced them with quick release bolts for holding a bicycle seat post (including the acorn nut, as they are not the same thread as the original). Now I can move and tighten the position and height without tools, and the cam lock in the old-style QR is plenty tight enough. One drawback is that I cannot easily move the tool rest along the entire lathe bed because the acorn nut extends too low for the struts that connect the two sides of the bed, but if that gets irritating enough I can fashion a new clamp for the bottom that is tapped the same as the QR skewer. Obviously, I am keeping the old bolts so I can reinstall them for when the lathe is donated to a museum. I thought about the same upgrade to the tailstock clamp but it requires a longer bolt and I will not be able to deal with the restriction of not being able to easily move it the entire length of the bed.

I hope this easy low-cost upgrade works for others. These kind of QR bolts are easy to find a bike co-ops.

-Will
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Negative_Zero; 04-25-2020, 01:52 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Rockwell-Beaver 3400 QR Toolrest

Hé there minus one , that is a good idea for the banjo clamping, as for the tailstock, the quick release that is used on the bike wheels, are they long enough maybe to use for that ??

I suppose the threading is metric on the bike parts ?? yes, if so it isn’t hard to make a plate to go under the lathe bed and threaded with the right thread for your use of these pieces.

I/ve made a couple before where the lathes had round disks and they would not hold, so I made some rectangular ones, pretty easy to do, anyway thanks for making us aware of a better mousetrap here

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

The QR skewers for wheels would be more than long enough, but I could cut one short and then thread it with a die (only the 1" at the end is usually threaded). I expect that these skewers are threaded metric (either M5 or M6). I will need to see how much clearance is available above the struts under the bed, because not being able to easily move the tailstock all the way to the end of the lathe and out of the way, will make this the opposite of a convenience. You are right that it may make sense to replace the clamping plate on the bottom with one that is threaded to match the QR skewer.

I was happy with the easily moved toolrest for finishing the turning of the pen and pencil "set" for my younger son's birthday. The pen is cocobolo with Japanese cherry knots, and the pencil is japanese cherry with cocobolo knots. Of course my contrarian son wanted the hardware to be gold for the pen and silver for the pencil - I don't know where he gets it!

-Will
      Attached Files

Comment

He Will, nice enough work, but you got to do something with that pen, (not assembled yet ??) the middle ring does sit a bit askew

Yes a clamping plate is best for being able to slide the banjo and tailstock, if you leave just ⅛” or 3mm wings that sit under the bed and you use a ⅜” or 10 mm plate you have plenty of thread in it to wear not out in a hurry, just saw the pieces out to make the wings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clamping plate.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1280203
        Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-25-2020, 11:29 PM.

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Update with refinements...

After working with this setup for a week, I decided to carefully go through my box of old bike parts and get it done right: now I have all three toolrest, banjo and tailstock with quick release adjustment using various length QR skewers for bike seat post clamps. Details follow:

Toolrest – this is the easiest one because the nut end of the QR skewer does not get in the way and you can use seatpost spacers to get the length right. Also, keeping the QR nut works well. The original photo is post one shows how I have left the toolrest.

Banjo – needs a precise length of QR skewer and replace the nut with a regular nut to allow the banjo to slide the entire lathe bed without stopping on the struts running below and connecting the two sides of the lathe bed. I used a 48mm QR skewer (measured when the handle cam has the bolt fully pulled into the handle head) and I had to add two washers above the banjo so the end of the bolt would clear the struts. This QR skewer had a M8 thread and I replaced the acorn nut with a regular M8 nut and a washer to bear against the sliding locking plate. A little blue loctite makes it so the nut does not gradually loosen itself. As Leo mentioned, another more elegant solution would be to make a new locking plate that is tapped to match the QR skewer thread (and then cut the skewer to length, if necessary).

Tailstock – same issue as Banjo with clearance under the sliding locking plate, and I found a longer QR skewer was required. I used a 58mm QR skewer and added one large washer above to make it so I did not need to shorten the skewer. The only QR skewer I could find in this length was an M6 thread, and I replaced the acorn nut with a regular M6 nut under a large washer to bear against the locking plate running under the lathe bed.

Comment

OK, good job Will, does it work well and locks down good, and are you satisfied with it ??

Thanks for coming back and showing your solution to a awkward tighten and loosening system that al these old lathes have

Have fun and take care
            Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...
            Working...
            X