X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Canada lathe model no. KWL-1218VS

Greetings

I purchased one month ago a King Canada lathe model no. KWL-1218VS
    The problem I am facing know is that the machine tailstock would slip after tightening the piece ( see 1+ 2 pictures , with red circle around the issue)
    I think this is related to the piece underneath the tailstock that hold it in place (picture 3) , it is not wide enough to provide better tightening

Is this normal with lathes or I have to contact the manufacturer , appreciate your feedback , thanks

Picture 1+ 2 ( Tail stock slipping)

Picture 3 (underneath piece)

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: King Canada lathe model no. KWL-1218VS

Photo upload didn't work unfortunately, please see this thread for instructions.

Comment

I just looked at the manual and as I suspected, there is a round thick washer like piece that has to keep the tailstock from moving, the same under the banjo.

I had a Delta Midi Lathe LA200 that had the common round disk under the tailstock, and it did let the tailstock creep, so I made a simple rectangular plate for it, shown in the two pictures here.

The problem with the round disks is that there is just a very small area to prevent the slipping, even when adjusted properly, it is something like these two here (l l) show, if you imagine that the two straights are the lathe bed, there is a very small area under it (l l), anyway I just used a ¼” piece of flat stock, as I had it, though a bit thicker might be better, mine did work just fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tailstock plate.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	1280717Click image for larger version  Name:	Plate added to tailstock.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.5 KB ID:	1280718
      Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-28-2020, 05:21 PM.

Have fun and take care
      Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Like Leo I've made similar clamp blocks. I used 1/2" aluminum plate because I could cut it out with my table saw. It worked pretty good although it was a bit stickier than steel. You can also buy blocks from Lee Valley. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/turning-tools/101330-clamp-blocks-for-steady-rests-for-spindles-and-bowls

Comment

Here's my fix for breakup of cast iron clamp mechanism on Craftmaster. Got idea from Vintage Machinery schematic of 1967 Rockwell / Delta 12" lathe showing a 5/16" U bolt mechanism. 1/4" plate is from a piece of steel laying around. Small 1/8" thick piece, riveted in place, is to guide block between bed ways. Works well. Also added an extension to lever mechanism.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	49443560831_d1774af5b9_k.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	541.9 KB
ID:	1280753Click image for larger version

Name:	49443786092_16f1c2e1b2_k.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	590.9 KB
ID:	1280754Click image for larger version

Name:	49443785847_e1b8131107_k.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	607.7 KB
ID:	1280755Click image for larger version

Name:	49782626396_329b3017e5_k.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	773.4 KB
ID:	1280756

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mosarbo View Post
            Greetings

I purchased one month ago a King Canada lathe model no. KWL-1218VS
            The problem I am facing know is that the machine tailstock would slip after tightening the piece ( see 1+ 2 pictures , with red circle around the issue)
            I think this is related to the piece underneath the tailstock that hold it in place (picture 3) , it is not wide enough to provide better tightening

Is this normal with lathes or I have to contact the manufacturer , appreciate your feedback , thanks

Picture 1+ 2 ( Tail stock slipping)

Picture 3 (underneath piece)

Welcome to the forum. You made need to make a few posts before you will be allowed to upload pictures?

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by DougLA View Post
              Here's my fix for breakup of cast iron clamp mechanism on Craftmaster. Got idea from Vintage Machinery schematic of 1967 Rockwell / Delta 12" lathe showing a 5/16" U bolt mechanism. 1/4" plate is from a piece of steel laying around. Small 1/8" thick piece, riveted in place, is to guide block between bed ways. Works well. Also added an extension to lever mechanism.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	49443560831_d1774af5b9_k.jpg Views:	0 Size:	541.9 KB ID:	1280753Click image for larger version  Name:	49443786092_16f1c2e1b2_k.jpg Views:	0 Size:	590.9 KB ID:	1280754Click image for larger version  Name:	49443785847_e1b8131107_k.jpg Views:	0 Size:	607.7 KB ID:	1280755Click image for larger version  Name:	49782626396_329b3017e5_k.jpg Views:	0 Size:	773.4 KB ID:	1280756
              As they say, whatever works for you, but why did it break in the first place ??, and I would suggest that round waster plate, where when it wasn’t holding the tailstock secure, extra leverage was used, now that the washer plate has been replaced by a rectangular plate, the extra leverage isn’t needed anymore.

If I had to do the repair, I would’ve made a new ring for the broken one and replaced the washer plate for a rectangular plate.
              If you are happy with your fix than that’s all that count, happy turning
              Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-29-2020, 11:37 AM.

Have fun and take care
              Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Thanks for all who provided solutions , it really helped me tackle the issue

Comment

Leo:

"If I had to do the repair, I would’ve made a new ring for the broken one and replaced the washer plate for a rectangular plate."

Fabricating a ring wasn't possible in this old codger's hands and the u-bolt solution had it fixed in an hour. I am more than happy!

If anyone's interested here's the '67 Delta Rockwell manual with pic and schematic of tailstock u-bolt clamp that I got idea from. It doesn't seem to be a design that's carried on so I do wonder re longevity.
                  vintagemachinery.org/pubs/698/6850.pdf

Doug

Comment

Working...
                  X